75gallon Makeover - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
75gallon Makeover

Hello all,

I am in the process of giving my 75 gallon tank a "makeover." It is currently housing 9 fish and very few plants-just some pieces of driftwood with Java Moss and Fern. There are also two mangrove seedlings that have done well in this tank. It was originally setup this past January to be a paludarium setup. The water level is only half of the tank. Current fish are two Archers, three Clown Loachs, two SAE's, a Rainbow Shark, and a Red-eye Puffer. The gravel was originally Flourite with the rest of the gravel transferred from a 29 gallon-that was mixed with laterite.

I plan on covering most of the gravel surface with sand and planting Eleocharis. I also plan on getting some more large stones and growing Java moss on them. I also purchased an Eheim canister filter as currently the tank is only filtered with a Duetto and a power head with a sponge filter. Lighting consists of 220W of PC at 6500K. I plan on leaving the tank about 3/4 full so I can still view the Archer fish behavior.

My questions:

I use RO/DI exclusively. Should I start using Tap or a mixture of RO/DI and Tap?

For dosing CO2 I have purchased Seachem's organic Carbon. What are the experiences anyone has had with this product? If I have to, I can use a DIY CO2 reactor (soda bottle).

The Eleocharis I was looking at purchasing is in 2" squares. How do I plant these in the substrate?

Lastly, is it o.k to leave my fish in the tank during the setup process?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 07:55 AM

Re the RO question: why are you using RO at the moment? what are your tap water parameters?

Unless you have *really* bad tapwater (full of nitrates or phosphates...) or you want to breed certain types of fish, you may not need RO water at all...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I started using RO/DI for my reef tank, as to prevent undesireable algae growth, and used to use tap for my fresh tank, which at the time was only a ten gallon with a single 15W flourscent strip light. When I upgraded the tank I bought a much more powerful light, and when I setup the tank with tap, I got a bloom of algae. That is why I used RO. Plus the fish seem to like it better, as it keeps my pH stable. My normal tap has a pH of 7.5

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Nothing wrong with a pH of 7.5 out of the tap.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am really concerned about how hard it will be to get the plants established while I have the fish in the tank. I don't want to remove them as all I can transfer them into are rubbermaid tubs. I was thinking of planting the eleocharis and then maybe putting some egg crate over them so my loaches cannot dig around. Any more info is appreciated.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 08:06 PM
eds

PTrader: (8/100%)
Lake Michigan water is fine for planted tanks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 08:17 PM

i also use ro/di water on my tank ( also for my reef) my tap water has a ph of 8.5 a kh of 10 or so and p04 of 4ppm, with rodi water it comes out at 7.6 kh 1 or so po4 0-0.1
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

O.K. I seem only to be getting advice on tap vs. RO/DI water. For you people out there that use tap exclusively with high lighting: How are you controlling problems with Algae?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 08:03 PM
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just by controlling the balance of nutrients in the water column. Seems like the main balance is Po4 and No3. If you can get these stabalized and dial in the dosing routine, algea seems to be in check. There are some excellent members here with a great back ground and/or knowledge of chemistry. Just poke around the site and I think you'll get your answers.

I'm running 4.2 WPG and thanks to the help on this board things seem to be getting in check with only tap water!

Currently tankless for the first time in 24 years... Getting the itch again
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robitreef
O.K. I seem only to be getting advice on tap vs. RO/DI water. For you people out there that use tap exclusively with high lighting: How are you controlling problems with Algae?
220watts over a 75gallon. 100% tap water, which is 8dKh, 11dGh, pH 7.8, no nitrates or phosphates.

dosing pure potassium nitrate and mono potassium phosphate, I keep them in balance. The only algae I get is some green spot on the glass, depending on how I dose my plantex CSM+B

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode