Photobucket Locked All My Images On Here - The Planted Tank Forum
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Photobucket Locked All My Images On Here

Sorry to anyone who finds my threads useful along with the photos that accompany them. Photobucket has pulled the lowest move I have ever witnessed a company do. My storage is 61% full however I approach my monthly bandwidth quite often and this site in particular has put it over the edge a few times 7-10 days before my monthly bandwidth reset (then all my hosted images get replaced with a locked message until the end of the month). Well apparently Photobucket must be doing really bad right now because they changed their terms policy without grandfathering in photos uploaded before their change, stating that free accounts no longer provide 3rd party image hosting "at my level" so I need to go from a free account to a $400.00 per year hosting package to continue hosting my images uploaded over the last 10 years that are linked to about a dozen forums and a million posts. They literally just black nailed me, they have no phone number to dispute this (can you imagine paying $400/year for a service from a company with no phone support?) so I have been trying to dispute this over email and Facebook messages but they are dead serious and there are no exceptions. My account has been "flagged" according to them, assumingly as potential enterprise customer. I have been thinking about going to Imgur for a while now because of quality reasons and this is the ultimate push, I will do what I can to revive my build and journal threads but it is going to take a long time to edit all my threads.

If anyone has any legal advice my ears are open, thank you.
kyle3, kyle3, mindnova and 7 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
Sorry to anyone who finds my threads useful along with the photos that accompany them. Photobucket has pulled the lowest move I have ever witnessed a company do. My storage is 61% full however I approach my monthly bandwidth quite often and this site in particular has put it over the edge a few times 7-10 days before my monthly bandwidth reset (then all my hosted images get replaced with a locked message until the end of the month). Well apparently Photobucket must be doing really bad right now because they changed their terms policy without grandfathering in photos uploaded before their change, stating that free accounts no longer provide 3rd party image hosting "at my level" so I need to go from a free account to a $400.00 per year hosting package to continue hosting my images uploaded over the last 10 years that are linked to about a dozen forums and a million posts. They literally just black nailed me, they have no phone number to dispute this (can you imagine paying $400/year for a service from a company with no phone support?) so I have been trying to dispute this over email and Facebook messages but they are dead serious and there are no exceptions. My account has been "flagged" according to them, assumingly as potential enterprise customer. I have been thinking about going to Imgur for a while now because of quality reasons and this is the ultimate push, I will do what I can to revive my build and journal threads but it is going to take a long time to edit all my threads.

If anyone has any legal advice my ears are open, thank you.
Geez! Sounds like a hostage situation. Not cool.

Dan
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 02:23 PM
Planted Member

Yikes ! I've been using Photobucket for about 10 years also. Tried posting some pix a few days ago, but had no luck. Makes sense now. Hope you get it sorted out 😐

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
I stopped using photobucket and now use flickr. Do you have backups anywhere?
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have access to Photobucket and I can DL all my photos but it does not help the damage has been done. This means editing links, about 5,000 of them and on some sites it does not allow you to edit your posts after 24 hours so the dead links will be stuck there.

If your using Photobucket LEAVE NOW.

I will compare Flickr & Imgur for quality, I have already found out that Imgur allows higher resolutions and file sizes then Photobucket but they do compress your images so the best I found is to upload in 2048x1536 (max FB size) and save with the highest setting in Photoshop. It looked better that way rather than leaving the size around 4000px and just compressing the file size.
herns and herns like this.

-
-
-
post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Algae Grower

Sorry to hear about your problem. yes I have read and enjoyed your posts. I wish you good luck.
I hope you can keep us updated as I am looking for a place to keep my photos.
I will let Photobucket know why and clear my photos out also.
Teebo and Teebo like this.

A little algae can't be that bad!
post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:15 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (120/100%)
flickr.com
houseofcards and houseofcards like this.

post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

To add insult to injury.. Can no longer view others pics unless I shut off ad blockers.. May be old but new to me..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Imgur is great. I stopped using Photobucket a couple months ago when all my albums from the past year disappeared into thin air...

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 10:58 PM
Algae Grower

Photobucket is so 2000. Imgur is where it's at.
post #11 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:48 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
flickr.com
I use them and it's a pita to get the photo location for embedding. It used to be easy but now you have to try to download your own picture to get the image address.

When live gives you lemons make a lemon drop.
post #12 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

@ Axelrodi202 - OUCH!

I think the Flickr vs. Imgur battle may be over already based on a few comments here. However, I am reading that Flickr does not compress your original upload so in theory you should be able to host uncompressed images to 3rd party websites? I may have to do a comparison myself.

-
-
-
post #13 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 01:44 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I left photobucket in April when they were having some hosting issues. I also looked at imgur and flicker, however I ended up deciding on a basic plan at smugmug. I like how polished it feels (something I feel imgur lacks) and the fact that is isn't owned by yahoo (flicker). Probably not the most sound reasoning I know, but it was mine.

Smugmug might be worth looking at. I opted for the basic plan @ 47.88 a year, which I think is reasonable for their service. Here is a link to a comparison of their plans. They also offer a 14 day trial - no CC required.

Trent
post #14 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 01:55 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (120/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonA View Post
I use them and it's a pita to get the photo location for embedding. It used to be easy but now you have to try to download your own picture to get the image address.
You mean select which image size you want to share, yes you have to do that

Fwiw I like the old version they had a couple years ago better too. I forget what all they changed exactly, but yeah it was easier

post #15 of 80 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 01:33 PM
Planted Member

I'm using Imgur now and it's not bad. I really don't like the navigation, though, if you are looking at an album. When looking at the list of images there doesn't seem to be a way to click on the image (title, banner, desc, whatever...) and bring up the individual image in another tab. The link is shown to the individual picture page but you have to copy it (there is a button) and paste it into the address bar of a new tab you've opened. Additionally I don't see a way to link directly to the image so it comes up without all that interface stuff around it.

I don't post a lot so I'm not sure of any limits that exist. I asked a couple of questions in the community forum but they went unanswered. I would look at a replacement site but I'm doing ok on Imgur at the moment.

Last edited by Esteban Colberto; 06-29-2017 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Typo fix

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode