The Planted Tank Forum banner

No filter planted betta tank?

17K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Omar EAZi 
#1 ·
Can it be done without hurting the fish? I have a 5 gallon tank (just a regular rectangle one.. nothing special), that I would really like to set up again, but I would love it if I could get away with not having to put a filter on it... or use anything really on it.
If there is a guide to doing something like that, please share the link :D

What kind of plants would be good? Substrate? What do you do about water changes with something like that? When is it safe to add fish? Can you give it a little boost by seeding it w/ mature media from another tank? etc etc....
Any info about this would be awesome!

#3 ·
Can you give it a little boost by seeding it w/ mature media from another tank?
where would you put the mature media if you're not planning to get a filter though?

What do you do about water changes with something like that?
You'll need lot of water changes on a tank like this, you'll also have to keep a constant eye on the parameters just to make sure there are no Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate spikes in the tank.

I think it's doable, I've seen Oliver Knot having a tank like that with no filter nor lightning, he keeps the tank at a window side.
You might get algae problems that way thought..

#4 ·
Was thinking maybe putting some mature media in a little mesh sack or maybe even taking some mature substrate and sticking it in to the tank?

Esteban. YES! Thank you for the link! That's exactly the info I was looking for :D

If I can find a decent light to put on the tank. Would love to put it on our table by the window, but don't think my husband would go for that idea lol. I may give it a try though once I figure out where I can put it. Thanks for the info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.