• 2 Post By Chrisinator
  • 2 Post By Olskule

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Film on top of 5 gallon shrimp tank?

Hi all,

I've got a Spec V shrimp tank that, lately, has been having a film over the top of it. It's planted, about 40 shrimp, couple pieces of driftwood, injected CO2, finnex planted plus 24/7, aquasoil, ~10 day 50% water changes. I'm really not sure whats happening. None of my other tanks have this issue. I'm letting the water level drop a bit to skim it off better.

75g Tank Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forest's Edge:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vinster8108; 01-22-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
It's a protein film covering the surface. More surface agitation should help. Try pointing the nozzle up towards the surface to eliminate it.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Usually a caused by a slight increase in organic waste maybe some unhealthy plants, a little to much food, dying algae, etc. It can turn into a bacterial bloom in my experience ifif decaying organic matter gets to bad. I would say that some is normal. Could also be from organics in the aquasoil.

Dan

Last edited by Dman911; 06-16-2017 at 10:15 PM. Reason: clarity

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It could be a one-time event, due to something you may never track down. A surface skimmer would be ideal, but unless your filter offers that option, a separate skimmer would take up a lot of space in such a small tank. You can remove surface film manually by gently laying a paper towel on the water's surface until it is completely soaked, then, before it sinks, lift it from the middle. This will take almost all of the surface film with the paper towel, and if it's a one-time occurrence, your problem is solved. Otherwise, you may have to repeat the procedure until you figure out the source of the film. Avoid using any paper towels that might have substances added to them (fragrance, etc.); I find that the cheapest ones work just fine for this.

Olskule
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster8108 View Post
Hi all,

I've got a Spec V shrimp tank that, lately, has been having a film over the top of it. It's planted, about 40 shrimp, couple pieces of driftwood, injected CO2, finnex planted plus 24/7, aquasoil, ~10 day 50% water changes. I'm really not sure whats happening. None of my other tanks have this issue. I'm letting the water level drop a bit to skim it off better.
give it some agitation so nature can do its work. it should clear up in couple of days.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:16 AM
Algae Grower

Surface agitation is all you will need for a tank that small. I always use and love surface skimmers, except on my 3-gallon pico reef tank where surface agitation solves the problem
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:33 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I did the paper towel trick for about 3 days and it disappeared. I have the spec v too and pointing the nozzle up toward the back glass will also help agitate the film. I think it's more common for the protein building up on just started tanks, but once everything gets going, it disappears naturally (as long as the above problems aren't still happening).

I had quite a few surfing snails eating the film, but now they settled back down to the bottom and the glass since it's gone -> not as fun to watch :'(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

The OP is injecting CO2, any surface agitation is going to decrease the CO2 levels, it depends on if this will be a problem in the long run.

Frankly my shrimp like 'skimming' the water surface which has a bio-film. Some of that film is a little bit of bacteria and algae. Some floating plants that the shrimp can hang onto while scooping at the surface will help: Water Sprite, Salvinia, or Frogbit. I'd also recommend that the OP probably is possibly overfeeding, shrimp can make do with the barest of feedings as they eat just about anything organic.

If the OP is using a DIY CO2 system then it might be part of the issue, but the tiny level of organics it's introducing will be eaten readily by the foraging shrimp anyways.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Hi all, thanks for the comments. Sorry for the delayed response, I've been gone on vacation. I increased the turbulence at the surface and things seem to be better now, hopefully it was a one time thing. I've been trying to stay on top of weekly water changes to help things out.

75g Tank Journal:

Forest's Edge:

Tags
film, protein, shrimp, skimmer, spec v

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode