Corner stand/cabinet top question Woodworking! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Corner stand/cabinet top question Woodworking!

Do any of you do woodworking? I have a corner tank and I got a smoking deal on a corner cabinet from Lowes. It looks WAY better than the Aqueon corner tank stand. The only problem is I want to put a top on it. I have a 5'x5' Baltic birch 3/4" plywood sheet. I need to figure out how to add a finished edge to the plywood either using a laminate strip or putting a solid wood trim border around it. Then I want to put some molding under it so it's not just a flat top. What's the best way to go about this?

When live gives you lemons make a lemon drop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Algae Grower

Make sure the top of the cabinet has cleats to screw a top to it should anyway. Buy or cut strip of thin veneer and use a spray adhesive or white glue. White glue needs to be clamped for an hour and left 8 hrs usually before work on it. Could get messy as well. Use a knife to trim off the excess veneer of recommend a plane that meant for that work it looks like a right angle block with a knife in it so you can't go too far. As far as the trim or crown moulding look the best way would be glue and an air nailer. If you don't have access to that very thin finishing nails and a nail punch to get the heads under the surface so you can fill it in with wood filler after. Providing the cabinet is square and I'm sure it is. A chop saw would make quick work for cutting the 45 degree angles to join the trim together at the corners. The cheaper way without a chop saw is by hand using a box jig with the angles in it and a hand saw takes more time and skill though. Good luck.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You can get edge banding for plywood with heat activated glue. You iron it on. I don't know if Home Depot carries it in their store but it's on their website.

You could fasten the crown molding to the edge of the plywood top. Cover the edge with the molding and the tank will cover the seams on top.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Algae Grower

Don't forget super glue is your best friend too. Can use it as an extra hand just to tack something together while you work on it. Not everybody has a bunch of clamps hanging around.
I haven't had any luck with he iron on stuff but it was mostly on particle board so too many holes on the end. With the spray it's crazy fast acting but should be outside and taping off has to be done unless you want to sand it off later. Lots of options

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode