Planted Tank newbie- Rig Help - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planted Tank newbie- Rig Help

Hi All,

New member here, I went and got a 60L starter tank. Its a used one and got for a good price. since I was just beginning, went the budget route;
AA AQUARIUM EQUIPMENT - Adds Life to your environment

It came with some drift wood and gravel and filter. I will be using the drift wood. The filter dint look maintained and I am throwing it away also the gravel. Looking for a filter. I have decided to go for a big one even though my tank is small. If I am buying a new one I was looking at JBL CristalProfi e1502I,
https://www.jbl.de/?lang=en&mod=prod...detail&id=8028
I am also following up on an ad posted for a used SUNSUN 304B filter. Any feedback on this filter?

I have cleaned the aquarium with water vinegar solution and is kept for drying. I can still see some green algae spots along the silicon. how can I get this removed? Is it ok to keep the tank in sun for a while?

The tank has an inbuilt hood lightning.
AA AQUARIUM EQUIPMENT - Adds Life to your environment
I know I have to replace this for making it a planted tank. What lighting should I use for this tank specification.

Regards,
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

BUMP

Any help people.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:23 PM
Planted Member

both filters that you've posted are an overkill for your tank, your tank is around 15g, I bought the smallest canister filter I could find at our local store for the same size tank as yours, and still I think it's an overkill, way too much flow.
Get yourself a smaller filter, something like an HOB filter would be good for your tank. I wish I got an HOB for myself, but I already opened it and used it so I can't return it to the shop now.
Not sure about putting a dry tank in the sun, I heard it's bad for the silicon attaching the glass together.
As for the light, for this size of tank any decent small light would be good, now I'm not sure what sort of plants ur going to use, but I suggest you get a co2 system as well.
good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Your question is still a little to vague for a good response. You're going to have to do a little research (Lots of good info in the sticky section at the top of each forum section here)

The first big decision is deciding between high tech and low tech. High tech is usually defined by having injected CO2. Higher light can be used with CO2. Which route you decide to go will help in the selection of your equipment. It's all about what kind of plants you want to grow and how much maintenance you want to put into it.

You can clean your tank with bleach (plain cheap bleach with no additives like scent or detergents ). It kills lots of stuff and when it dries and the smell is gone all the harmful bleach stuff is gone too.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

In regards to sunlight its not going to harm anything if its just out to dry but you would not want to store an empty tank in an area with direct sunlight for long periods of time as it will affect the silicone. As for filtration if you want to go canister something like an eheim 2215 will be plenty and you can use the output ball valve to reduce flow as needed. Bleach and a toothbrush for the corners as was suggested. The rest need more info as was stated.

Dan
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you all for the reply.

For now I will just Focus on the filter and Light for my tank.

Thanks for your suggestions, I was under the impression a bigger filter would always be helpful and the flow can be controlled. There is not much of a price difference in the SunSun filters. For 302 it was 50$ for new, 303B was like 60$. I dint check the price of a new 304. I read the SUNSUN flow was not efficient enough and was always better to consider less than half. So with this if I consider the 302, is it still an overkill?

For lights I have no idea, how much power or brightness needed. For such a tank what should I be looking for when shopping for a light?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonea View Post
Thank you all for the reply.

For now I will just Focus on the filter and Light for my tank.

Thanks for your suggestions, I was under the impression a bigger filter would always be helpful and the flow can be controlled. There is not much of a price difference in the SunSun filters. For 302 it was 50$ for new, 303B was like 60$. I dint check the price of a new 304. I read the SUNSUN flow was not efficient enough and was always better to consider less than half. So with this if I consider the 302, is it still an overkill?

For lights I have no idea, how much power or brightness needed. For such a tank what should I be looking for when shopping for a light?
your light will depend on the plants you want to grow and if you are running Co2 injection not liquid Co2 which is different type of carbon source.

Dan
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was told at the store where I was checking the filter, not to use Carbon in the media for planted tanks. What media should I use if I am picking up the 302?

Thanks,
Regards,
B

The Planted Newbie
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I was told at the store where I was checking the filter, not to use Carbon in the media for planted tanks. What media should I use if I am picking up the 302?
I meant liquid carbon dosing as a source of carbon. Its labeled liquid Co2 but is not the same as Co2 injection. If you are doing a planted tank I agree you don't need activated carbon. Personally I run ceramic rings, foam, filter floss (poly wool) and purigen. Filer floss and purigen are kind of optional but are used to polish the water.

Dan
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:

I don't know what store you're going to, but a good rule of thumb is to doubt everything they tell you or suggest until you check it out. There are some LFS's (local fish store) that are very good, but others that will give you horrible advice.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 08:36 PM
Planted Member

You can use active carbon in planted tanks with no issues at all, as for the filter, most SunSun filters have no adjustable ball valve, only full open and fully closed to remove the piping. As for light, good light means you need Co2 or be ready for heavy algae bloom. For your tank 2 IKEA cfl lamps are good enough to light a 15 gallon tank.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:28 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar EAZi View Post
You can use active carbon in planted tanks with no issues at all, as for the filter, most SunSun filters have no adjustable ball valve, only full open and fully closed to remove the piping. As for light, good light means you need Co2 or be ready for heavy algae bloom. For your tank 2 IKEA cfl lamps are good enough to light a 15 gallon tank.
you can use active carbon in planted tanks with no issues unless you want fertilizers in the water column. Active carbon will remove fertilizers from the water so if you have column feeders, you will end up using more fertilizers to keep them fed.
Omar EAZi and Omar EAZi like this.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok Thanks for the advice.

So I plan to have a planted tree with a carpeted floor. Initially only the plants and once everything is established will think about livestock. I will being with the inbuilt CFL then and see how it goes, for the filter I will get the SUNSUN 302A. I hope this is enough for the equipment. Any suggestions on the plants to make the tree( I was reading Java Moss) and for the carper. Some suggestion for low tech plants.

@DangerDonkey - Thats what the guy told me something about the fert and it not being effective. I have no idea about what you just said though . I Guess I still have to read quiet a bit.

Thanks,
Regards,
B

The Planted Newbie

Last edited by Bonea; 06-16-2017 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Add more details
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Ok Thanks for the advice.

So I plan to have a planted tree with a carpeted floor. Initially only the plants and once everything is established will think about livestock. I will being with the inbuilt CFL then and see how it goes, for the filter I will get the SUNSUN 302A. I hope this is enough for the equipment. Any suggestions on the plants to make the tree( I was reading Java Moss) and for the carper. Some suggestion for low tech plants.

@DangerDonkey - Thats what the guy told me something about the fert and it not being effective. I have no idea about what you just said though . I Guess I still have to read quiet a bit.

Something like this? I used Dwarf hair grass and Christmas moss

Dan

Bump: Grr I have a more recent photo. That shows once the moss has grown in better but for some reason it just keep bumping.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55gal.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	765177  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Moss Tree.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	765185  

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 10:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Activated Carbon is expensive and exhausts quickly. Most aquarist's don't use it in their planted tanks for this reason, several have said it removes ferts but I cannot say it does for certain since I have never tested this. Possibly removes trace elements? An option some choose to use instead is purigen, it removes organics and tannins from the water and is renewable in a bleach solution. I wouldn't say that activated carbon cannot be used but rather the cost and life of it does not justify the cost for me to use it.

Dan

Tags
cleaning, filter, light, used aquarium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode