3Likes
  • 4 Post By FloydFan78
  • 2 Post By FloydFan78

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help Needed (and appreciated!!)

Hello folks! I have been lurking about the forums for quite some time, reading posts and journals, and finally decided to register and get some advice from you seasoned planted tank veterans! Having said that, this is my first official post on the planted tank forums!! (I actually created this post in the low tech forum a couple weeks ago, but only got one response on it. I'm reposting it here in the general forum in the hopes that I get some more input.).

I am relatively new to planted tanks. I currently have a 5 gallon planted betta tank (home to my boy, Big Blue) as well as a planted 29 gallon community tank. Neither of these tanks had any real thought put in to them - i kinda just saw plants at the LFS that I thought looked nice and then threw them in the tanks. The good news is, I haven't killed any of the plants yet. They don't look as nice as some of the tanks I have seen on this site, but the fish are happy so that's the most important thing to me

I am putting together a new tank, and have been a bit more meticulous on my fish and plant choices. I am doing a very loose variation of a South East Asia theme (I don't want to call it a biotope, because it isn't). Rather than a specific habitat (ie: backwater stream/brackish mangrove/fast flowing river etc etc....) I am basically choosing pants and fish that can be found in any habitat of SE Asia, so it will be more of a mash up of a SE Asia community tank I guess??

I would love to get some input from you all, in regards to my low-tech set up. I basically want to know how you all feel about my plant choices for a relatively deep, non-CO2 tank. Anything I should get rid of, or something else you might suggest that might be a good addition? My only requirement is that the plants originate in SE Asia (basically Myanmar and SE, including the Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Sumatra etc). I haven't set the tank up yet, as I still don't have all of the necessary equipment, but here is what I am planning (items in black are items I already have, red font indicates items I still need to purchase):

Tank: 62(ish) gallon (36WX22HX18D)
Filter: Penn-Plax Cascade 1200
Lighting: Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0
Heaters: 2 x Eheim jaeger 200W (the tank is in my basement and its pretty cold down there)
Substrate: Seachem Fluorite Red (Approx. 2.5")
Ferts: Do I need them? I'm assuming I should probably add some kind of ferts.......
Hardscape: Malaysian driftwood-type stuff as well as some river rock, something to make some caves for the loaches and gudgeons to hide in)

Livestock (I kinda have my heart set on these so I'm hoping not to change them)

20-25 Celestial Pearl Danio (Danio margaritatus)
3 Pearl Gourami (Trichogaster leerii)
6-8 Kuhli Loach (Pangio kuhlii)
6-8 Peacock Gudgeon (Tateurndina ocellicauda)
1 Siamese Algae Eater (Crossocheilus siamensis)
My original plan was to have more SAE, but after more research I have heard that they get pretty aggressive at larger sizes, so I dropped it down to 1. Any other suggestions for algae control? Im open to pretty much anything, as long as it comes from SE Asia and won't get huge!

Plants (all to be purchased - I'm open to suggestions) - I will not be planting all of these, they are just some possibilities I have found.

Background Plants:

Onion Plant (Crinum thaianum)
Giant Hygrophila (Hygrophila corymbosa)
Broadleaf Giant Stricta (Hygrophilia corymbosa 'Globra')
Red Tiger Lotus (Nymphaea lotus var. rubra)
Giant Vallisneria (Vallisneria gigantica)

Mid/Foreground Plants:

Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia
Lawn Marsh Pennywort (Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides)
Twisted Vallisneria/Dwarf Vallisneria (Vallisneria tortifolia)
Giant Sagittaria (Sagittaria platyphylla)
Dwarf Ambuila (Limnophila sessiliflora)

Please let me know what you guys think, I am really excited to get this tank up and running! Will be a while before I can get all of my livestock in though

Thanks in advance!

FF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 06:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
So I only have a couple of things I can comment on. The first is the light. I currently am running a 65g, almost the same size as you, and chose the same light. However, to combat evap, I put a glass lid on it. Unfortunately this means that there is a hinge right smack dab in the middle of the top, making me have to choose one side or the other to put the light. So if a top is something you want to do in the future, you might consider getting a second light. I am thinking about modding my lid to remove the hinge, too. just food for thought.

The other thing is temp. When I ran your fish list through AQAdvisor, it listed the temp range as 75.2-75.2. Lol, so that's a pretty narrow band. AQAdvisor isn't the end all be all of stocking, but it is a good start to look for red flags. So with that grain of salt in mind, you might consider seeing which species are nearing a temp range conflict. Most fish in the hobby are adaptable within reason, but its still a good idea to keep aware of those requirements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi got some ideas for you and found a good page for you to look over. Hope it helps

http://all4aquarium.ru/en/events/jbl...t-2013/entries

On researching these rivers a bit, looks like mixed size pebbles and lots of rootwood. I think you have a good plan going but worry about the fish once your tank has settled.
Have a look at the greenmachineonline too jimmy finlay has done some of these in the past and think he still has some tutorials on his website. That may give you some inspiration.

Good luckClick image for larger version

Name:	biotope-aquarium-c2013_45-1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	764585Click image for larger version

Name:	biotope-aquarium-c2013105-3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	764593

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolba View Post
When I ran your fish list through AQAdvisor, it listed the temp range as 75.2-75.2.
I played around a bit with AQAdvisor, and I put the CPD in first, and then as soon as I added the kuhli loach the temperature went to 75.2-75.2. I checked water requirements for both fish on multiple websites, and found that CPD need water temp 73-79 (1st website), 68-78 (2nd website) and 62.6-75.2 (3rd website). The kuhli loach temp requirements were a bit less varried: 75-85, 75-86 & 73-86. Ill have to check the requirements of all the fish I want in the tank, and hope my heaters can be dialed in to a specific number (unlikely lol).

Thanks also for the advice on the glass top - I will be having a top on the tank, as I know kuhlis are jumpers, and i believe the gudgeons are as well. I will likely get a custom glass top made, so that I can decide where I want to have the hinge.

Thanks for the input Scolba!

Colin - thanks to you as well! I had a look at the link you sent, and those are some great looking tanks, but they are a little more specific than what I was planning on doing. I am not going for one particular habitat - just a general SE Asia species tank for fish and plants. Maybe my next tank could be set up a little more carefully and could be considered a biotope (if my wife lets me have another tank lol)

FF
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lol just thought it would give you some ideas. Flowers, a meal out and chocolates may help too haha

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Wrexham View Post
Flowers, a meal out and chocolates may help too haha
I had to do this for the tank I am setting up now - will have to think of something more extravagant for the next one lol!!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydFan78 View Post
My original plan was to have more SAE, but after more research I have heard that they get pretty aggressive at larger sizes, so I dropped it down to 1.
True SAE's are not aggressive at all, and should be kept in small groups. If you end up with a lookalike, then you could end up with problems.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
True SAE's are not aggressive at all, and should be kept in small groups. If you end up with a lookalike, then you could end up with problems.
By lookalike I'm assuming you are talking about a Chinese algae eater or flying fox? My LFS guy is pretty solid in terms of his stock, so I trust that what he says a species is, it actually is. I have read up on differences between the fish as well, so I know what to look for (although I know it's not always easy to identify a fish that's not cooperating lol). Thanks for the input!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode