• 4 Post By nel
  • 2 Post By Dman911
  • 2 Post By clownplanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filter recommendation help

Hello everyone, I'm starting a new tank. I'm starting a 79 gallon planted tank. I'm going to be using ADA soil, co2 and high lighting. I'm trying to think of what filter to use on this tank and I would like to use lily pipes if I could. I thought about a sump system, but since I rent I'm worrying about a flood and I don't want to drill my tank. I would love your input and suggestions

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Maybe 2 eheim filters ?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Maybe 2 eheim filters ?
you can go with 1 big filter that looks like a box

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWRX View Post
you can go with 1 big filter that looks like a box

Looks like a box ?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Looks like a box ?
the jumbo filters for larger tanks looks like a box. vs smaller filters that might look like a cylindrical canister or a crayon box hanging on the side of a tank.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 05:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

There are lots of options as far as canisters go and I personally use eheim but I have heard good things about sun sun and fluval as well, although I think lily pipes might be a pain to hook up with the fluval ribbed hoses. I'm sure there are other good ones out there too. Although IMO 2-4x the gph is all that's need for filtration you may want to incorporate flow into your filter if you are doing a planted tank and don't want to add extra power heads. I think around 8-10x ghp of flow would be a good choice and getting one over 10x even 15-20x is an option as I know with eheim you can use the output ball valve to reduce flow to what you desire as was pointed out by another member to me. Depending on your scape you may need powerheads for dead spots anyways. One other bonus to reducing the flow on the output is if you are going to be using a rex griggs reactor for your Co2 injection. If you place the ball valve on the output of the reactor you will create back pressure in the reactor which will increase the dissolution rate of your Co2 helping to ensure it is dissolved quickly and that will raise Co2 levels faster when its kicks in and help ensure the reactor is rid of Co2 when it shuts off (less worry of a bubble building up and it continuing to add co2 after lights out). This shouldn't really be an issue but food for thought.

Dan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
There's alot of opinions on flitration and turnover, but at the end of the day in a large planted, high-tech tank the filter will eventually become mostly a flow device and most of the 'filtration' will take place in the tank, both with the plants, substrate and the water changes that you'll be doing weekly in that type of setup.

I've run tanks for years with 1-2x effective turnover and no powerheads nothing wrong with more, but probably not necessary. The 72G in my sig is an example of one. It had one eheim 2215 with no powerheads. I also used a simple ceramic disc for co2, which is what ADA does on even their largest tanks.
Aceman, Aceman, Dman911 and 3 others like this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:16 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's nearly the size of my tank so I would go with an eheim 2028. Great filter for years. If you like more turnover I would just add small powerhead, but it's absolutely not required, just an option. In my 345 litre tank I have this filter for 10 years and only part I had to change were the valves this year. It works with sera reactor 1000 and inline hydor heater, so pretty bad load. That's why I've added an Aquael Turbo 1000 internal filter, but probably could do without it.
Aceman, Aceman, Dman911 and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was thinking maybe two filters, for one it would give me a better turnover and two I could have one on a reactor and the other on a inline heater and maybe a uv light
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I was thinking maybe two filters, for one it would give me a better turnover and two I could have one on a reactor and the other on a inline heater and maybe a uv light
@clownplanted does this maybe he can give you an opinion of how its working for him.

Dan
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 03:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

I do exactly this and love the way it works. I have a 60 gallon tank with a Fluval FX4 that is just for filtration. I then have a Fluval 306 that I use for my co2 reactor and also an inline heater. This way no matter what I do it will not mess with the flow or filtration of my main filter. Since you have a slightly bigger tank the fx4 or fx6 would be perfect for filtration then a Fluval 406 for co2 and heater. I run the inline heater immediately after co2 this way heat will not effect the co2 at all.

I also run media in the co2/heater filter and this works perfect for when doing maintenance on one or the other one is always running. So I stagger out the maintenance on them. For me this works awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted to add another tip. If/when you do the two filter setup what I did was put the co2 out right behind and below my Fluval fx4 out. What this does it greatly helps with the co2 distribution throughout the entire tank due to the main filter helping. I can put my drop checker anywhere in the tank for an even color everytime. Also confirmed with ph pen checks on opposite side of tank and closest to co2 out. One thing that is VERY important with co2 is good flow so even the furthest plants get the amount of co2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aceman and Aceman like this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-17-2017 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Are the eheim 2229 wet dry filters any good ?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode