Cloudy water problem. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cloudy water problem.

Hello, for the last couple days I've been having a cloudy water problem and it's been getting worse pretty much every day. My photoperiod is 6 hours ad I'm running pressurized co2. Dosing nilocg Thrive at 1/2 recommended dosage. What could this be? And how can I fix this? I really don't want to have to buy a UV sterilizer because I want to know what's wrong and fix the root cause. Also I'm getting some BBA, staghorn, GSA altogether. Algae is not taking over the tank, but it's definitely there. Tank is almost two months old and has shrimp in it.

Looks cloudier in real life*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

~Tim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 12:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

What are you using for substrate?
What are your water parameters?
What is your tank maintenance schedule like?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Substrate: inert black sand
Water parameters: 20-30 ppm nitrate
0 ammonia
Maybe some nitrite (Can't tell because of strip test kit)

Weekly 20% water change. Ferts dose 2x a week 1/2 recommended dosage.

~Tim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

The plants look to be in good shape in the picture. Are they okay in person? How are the shrimp doing?

The algae suggests that you have too many organics in the water. Increasing water changes temporarily will remove them and allow the tank to balance out. They don't have to be big water changes, just do smaller ones more often. Instead of once a week, increase it to twice a week. If that doesn't work, you can increase the volume that you are changing.

Rinsing out filter pads and sponges will also help if you don't do this often. Any algae that can be removed manually needs to be. Any dead leaves and or poor plant growth should be removed as leaving such things is contributing to fouling the water.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The plants are doing amazing, not a spot of algae on them except for the old leaves. Shrimp are doing amazing also. I'll try doing more frequent water changes. Thanks for the suggestion.

~Tim
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 02:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

This sounds and looks like a easy problem to fix.

Get the dead stuff out of there. You're not doing yourself any favors by leaving them.

Other things to consider: Increasing water flow so whatever the shrimp leave laying around after grazing doesn't end up sitting in the tank breaking down and making more of a mess.

The second thing to think about is: If you don't do this already, try aerating your substrate. You can use a chop stick or a straw that is for tank use only and poke around the the tool of choice. Doing this will also loosen up any detritus on and in your substrate. I recommend doing this at times of water changes as it can be messy and you don't want ammonia spikes. Siphoning the stuff out as your poking around makes life a lot easier.

If you have nosy shrimp that are curious about anything that goes into the tank, shoo them away when aerating. It will prevent accidental deaths from being stabbed if you use something with a sharp edge.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 02:58 AM

Could it just be a bacteria bloom? In that case, just leave it alone. I did get a uv pump filter and it actually helped greatly.

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah my water flow was too fast so i had to turn it down

I think it might be a bacterial bloom. Not really a green tint as far as I can tell but algae is not ruled out

~Tim

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode