Drop checker not turning green - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Drop checker not turning green

Drop checker not changing color despite co2 on full blast.

Using glass inline co2 diffuser and Cal aqua drop checker solution.

I can see the microbubbles in water column but drop checker always blue.

75 gallon tank.
Cascade canister filter 300 gph

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Does the solution that you are using contain 4dkh fluid and bromothymol blue?
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcharlie View Post
Drop checker not changing color despite co2 on full blast.

Using glass inline co2 diffuser and Cal aqua drop checker solution.

I can see the microbubbles in water column but drop checker always blue.

75 gallon tank.
Cascade canister filter 300 gph

Where is the drop checker in the tank? Closest or furthest from diffuser? I suspect bad solution. You can make your own there is many tutorials on how to and just add a few drops of api ph test kit(bromothymol blue). Also you can do a ph/kh test and that will give you a pretty good idea what your co2 level is. Also keep in mind the drop checker will take a couple hours before it shows the actual level of co2 in the tank. What is your ph/kh level during the day say after 4 hours of running co2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
Does the solution that you are using contain 4dkh fluid and bromothymol blue?
Yes. I use same solution in all my tanks and works very well. It's from Green leaf solutions. Cal aqua brand

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yes. I use same solution in all my tanks and works very well. It's from Green leaf solutions. Cal aqua brand

So have you tested your ph and kh levels during the middle of the photoperiod day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes. Texted today

pH about 6.5/6.8
KH: about 5-6

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yes. Texted today

pH about 6.5/6.8
KH: about 5-6

Can you do a full tank shot showing the color of the drop checker. Either your testing is wrong or you regent is wrong.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
That's a fairly high KH to fight with for CO2 injection. Is that any different than your other tanks?
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have KH of 10 in my 20g. Most plants thriving.

This new tank is at an office. I might go down there later tonight and run more tests.

Was running co2 full blast. Moved drop checker to side closer to diffuser. Still blue.

I'll take pictures and show.

So just showed up at the office and did quick test.

Co2 rate plummeted accidentally since last test and levels have drastically changed.

KH about 3-4
pH about 7.4

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-11-2017 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 02:27 AM
Algae Grower

I had same problem and my water parameters were same as yours. I ended up increasing co2 some more and Ph finally dropped from 7.3 to 6.5. Since your Ph is under 7 I would suspect co2 drop checker solutions,

"We are born to move, if it don't move its dead"

EdLite
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I have KH of 10 in my 20g. Most plants thriving.

This new tank is at an office. I might go down there later tonight and run more tests.

Was running co2 full blast. Moved drop checker to side closer to diffuser. Still blue.

I'll take pictures and show.

So just showed up at the office and did quick test.

Co2 rate plummeted accidentally since last test and levels have drastically changed.

KH about 3-4
pH about 7.4

This puts you at 3-4ppm of co2 which is the level you will just about have anyway without injecting co2. This would show a blue drop checker.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
This puts you at 3-4ppm of co2 which is the level you will just about have anyway without injecting co2. This would show a blue drop checker.
Yeah like I said these levels were measured with co2 off all day.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yeah like I said these levels were measured with co2 off all day.

Should take a measurement exactly the same way with co2 on middle of day.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Took new measurements today.

pH: hard to tell. Looks neutral

KH: 2-3, keeps dropping

Co2 actually been running all night. 1 bubble per second.

Drop checker still showing blue.

Pics

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

1 BPS is just not going to do anything in a 75 gallon tank. You should start at 4bps and go from there. You are at less than 10ppm of co2 with a ph of about 7 and kh between 2-3. Makes sense that the drop checker is blue. Will not get to a dark green till about 20ppm.

Also it looks like that powerhead is causing surface agitation. You will need to run even more co2 to account for the off gassing due to that. If I was running 1bps and had my surface movement on like you do which I do then I would also not be even at 10ppm of co2. I am currently running about 8bps going into my reactor with a powerhead doing surface movement similar to yours. And to be honest the bps is a bit too fast to count but I am guessing about 8.

To give you an idea of what 1bps does I am currently running 1bps in my 20 gallon tank that is giving me about 15ppm of co2 using an atomizer.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode