5Likes
  • 2 Post By LegumeWeirdo
  • 8 Post By ua hua

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I HATE Ammania gracilis

Omg this plant is driving me crazy. I hate it. I recently got a stem because it is a beatiful plant, after 2 weeks or so I was able to trim it and now I have two stems. I feel happy because I am growing decently well this plant but on the other hand I hate the plant because it is a TRAUMATIC experience to plant it. All the leaves get tangled up and end upside down and my inner OCD cant deal with it.
Any tips on planting this thing without ending up with all its leafs tangled? Is this when aquascaping tools come in? First time I got the stem it was horrible to plant it but eventually I managed to plant it with minor tangling and the leafs fixed themselves up in a day or two but this time it is getting horribly hard to do so.
McCarthy and McCarthy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 03:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Sounds like you just need practice. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegumeWeirdo View Post
Omg this plant is driving me crazy. I hate it. I recently got a stem because it is a beatiful plant, after 2 weeks or so I was able to trim it and now I have two stems. I feel happy because I am growing decently well this plant but on the other hand I hate the plant because it is a TRAUMATIC experience to plant it. All the leaves get tangled up and end upside down and my inner OCD cant deal with it.
Any tips on planting this thing without ending up with all its leafs tangled? Is this when aquascaping tools come in? First time I got the stem it was horrible to plant it but eventually I managed to plant it with minor tangling and the leafs fixed themselves up in a day or two but this time it is getting horribly hard to do so.
I have to say if some tangled up leaves get your OCD going this hobby might push you past your limits. Wait until you start getting little tufts of bba popping up all over then you will really go crazy.
kyle3, kyle3, johnson18 and 5 others like this.

All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 04:17 AM
Planted Member

Note to myself: No Ammania for me!

I'm the inventor of OCD.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do try the Ammania McCarthy! I have never dealt with BBA but when the day comes I know I will need a ball to squeeze my anger out.
I am now starting to think that maybe I cut it too early and the stem is not big enough yet. Who knows, I will have to try it out with next cuttings, hopefully I wont lose my mind.
And I definitely need practice with this plant. I thought I was good at planting stuff but this Ammania definitely slapped me in the face. Ludwigias are so much lovelier to re-plant. So I guess other ammania gracilis keepers dont have this problem? I was hoping they did lol.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegumeWeirdo View Post
Omg this plant is driving me crazy. I hate it.
You should thankful to able to atleast grow it. Its a picky plant, and will grow crippled if the parameters are not good.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

You are completely right watercrayfish. When I first bought this plant I looked around on google and I found a lot of threads of people not being able to grow it and killing it, I was amazed because my setup is not great by any means.
Here is how I have been able to grow it:

Substrate: Potting soil

Liquid ferts: Potassium sulfate after weekly water change. Seachem Flourish Comprehensive after each water change and other 1-2 times between water changes. Potassium nitrate 2-3 times between water changes. (I have a giant clump of hornwort so I need nitrates, I will stop dosing when I stock more heavily the tank)

Light: This is where it gets funny, a desktop lamp is what Im using lol! It is a CFL bulb, 18 Watts and 1200 lumens (I dont know PAR), it does come with a reflector which I guess helps.

CO2: DIY CO2. The recipe I use is 1/2 teaspoon of yeast and 400 gr of sugar. I think the difussion method with DIY CO2 is even more important so I bought the cheapest powerhead I saw to difusse the co2.

I have pics of the mother stem but it is embarrasing as the seller gave me the crappiest stem he could find, the lower leafs had algae and some leafs had holes and stuff. The baby stem is planted now and leafs are finding their way altough some are still tangled. When it grows I will post a pic of it. My ammania gracilis is by no means as cool as the ones you see on google, I am able to grow it decently well, no crippled leafs or anything but when you compare it with the ammanias of the pros it is lacking color (it turn greenish with a pinch of orange).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
How deep is your substrate? I have some L. Aromatica where the stem has gotten so thick that it holds huge amounts of air and floats right out of the sand in my 20 long (2" of BDSD).

In my 29, I have 3", and the extra couple of whorls being pulled under the substrate made all the difference. I'm now looking at adding another half inch at least to my 20 long...

I know L. Aromatica is a lot more ridged, but I float the stem, use angled pinsettes to grab the bottom, and in a curved swooping motion (like following 1/4 of a circle), I sink it into the substrate until the pinsettes pretty much touch the bottom glass and release. This gets them standing straight up without leaves all over the place most of the time for me
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The dirt is probably an inch and the sand which in reality is very fine gravel is probably 3-4 cm deep. Your technique sounds interesting, I definitely need some tweezers for this plant. The stem was a little curvy (my desktop lamp sits on one side and literally all the plants act like a sunflower so the ones that are a little bit far from the light grow curved towards it, hoping to solve it soon) and now it has straightened itself backup which has untangled some leafs but still, one or two leafs are tangled.I will probably give it a week for it to root and then attempt to untangle them.
By the way, talking about sunflowers... I was out the whole day and to avoid algae (I dont have a timer and didnt want to risk leaving the light on for too long) I didnt turn the lights on today. My Ludwigia Repens completely turned away from the light and into my window´s direction. LOL.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode