• 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 On/Off timing Advice

First Post!
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and to some aspects of running a planted tank, I'm currently trying my hand at Co2 and Have a Regulator with a Solenoid on the way but I'm Curious as when to Have the timer set to Turn off/on my Co2.

My Tank Specs are:
Size : 10 Gallon
Substrate: Eco-Complete
Filtration: HOB Aquaclear 20 & Aquaclear Powerhead 20 (for flow)
Lighting: Finnex 24/7 Planted
Inhabitants: 3x Pygmy Corys, 4x Neon Tetra, and 3x RCS
Currently running CO2 with a fluval 88g kit at 1 bubble 3/sec 24/7 through a ceramic diffuser

My light is a Transition light so it goes through Dawn, Noon, Dusk, & Night Cycle. I'm wondering if i should start my CO2 at the Dusk Cycle and end at the Dawn Or maybe after the dawn cycle has started and stop after dusk cycle.

I'm also running the same lighting on a 55g Planted that i'm thinking about adding CO2 to once I'm confident I wont kill all the fish in it.

Any incite would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mphouse View Post
First Post!
I'm wondering if i should start my CO2 at the Dusk Cycle and end at the Dawn Or maybe after the dawn cycle has started and stop after dusk cycle.
You want the co2 flowing during the light cycle. It usually takes an hour or two for the co2 concentration to build up. Most people turn it on an hour or two before the lights.

Not sure how long the "dawn" and "dusk" cycle is, or how bright the lights are during that time.

Either start the co2 when the dawn cycle begins, or an hour or so before. Keep it running all day until about an hour before the lights go off
Aqua99 and Aqua99 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Due to the differences in different tanks, there can be no single "best" answer but it needs some adjustment to fit the situation. One big thing is how you control the CO2 and what level of plant growth , etc. you require for your results to please you.
What pleases you will vary as you may have fish that differ from other users and your priorities on which takes first place, fish or plants, may vary. Different fish react to CO2 in differing ways, so if the fish are priority, you may want to run different than plant first folks. Plant first folks may want to totally max the CO2 levels to get the ultimate growth but that can risk the fish so fish first folks may agree to less CO2/ less plant, but more fish safety.
Many turn on the CO2 early as mentioned as they want the plants to have it maxed as the light comes on. This may work well with lights and CO2 on separate timers but it can result in the fish having too much CO2 if the calculations on timing are off a bit.
Some are willing to accept less Co2 at the start of the day but somewhat more simple to let the lights andCO2 be on one timer. Plants suffer lower CO2 and fish suffer slightly higher at the end of the cycle. So it may depend on how close to that max your fish will tolerate and that varies with different fish and tanks.
If you use a controller, you may want it to simply keep the CO2 level steady 24/7 for a stable set for both fish and plants.
Not a simple question and does need some looking at what goes on in your tank. I currently run tanks using all three methods as each tank varies.
DaveK and DaveK like this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 07:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
this has been greatly helpful i was just looking to see if maybe Regulator today so come friday its time to set it up and give it a whirl. now i just have to get the rest of my tank issues sorted out. (some idiot has been using Seachem Neutral regulator to get his PH to 7.0 and just found out about the phosphate problem it causes.)anyone had some experience with this lighting system and CO2 but i think i figured my on off times i just got the

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode