55 gallon Planted tank/Paludarium WITH Aquaponics? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
JXZ
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 55 gallon Planted tank/Paludarium WITH Aquaponics?

Hello Everyone,

Iím looking for any advice, ideas, information, experience, know-how, thoughts, etc anyone might be able to offer. Iím re-acquiring a 55 gallon tank, about the standard 13x48 in, has most the basic hardware and an under gravel filter. Flora is only 1 Silver dollar and some sort of a small pleco or Chinese algae eater, no plants. What Iíd liked to do is either build it into a planted tank and/or some sort of basic, probably minimal Paludarium/Riparium, either way I will probably have SOME above water features, probably planted/moss wood and an Alocasia. BUTÖ. I also want to build an aquaponics system on to it as well. Naturally Iíll add more fish when it is ideal and possibly a small amphibian or 2 if it goes for more of a Paludarium/Riparium design.

My biggest concerns are nutrient contents, competition and balance between the tank plants and the aquaponics plants (ponics will most likely be tomatoes and other fruiting veggies, maybe some herbs too) and placement of the in-flow and out-flow for the aquaponics (Iím thinking under the gravel filter might actually be an ideal place maybe?). It seems like a ďheavyĒ system to me, and Iím curious about its feasibility but I still think its doable. Just looking to pick apart brains and see what others have done.

-JXZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Tricky part is lighting and placement for aquaponics. Easiest method for aquaponics if outflow from filtration dump into aquaponic section then gravity fed back into tank. But this means aquaponics above the tank (at least partially unless you want to get crazy with tubing)-I use canister filters and put outflow into aquaponic container which is directly above tank so outflow is a hole and pvc down into tank+ minor fail safe if there's a leak its right over the tank to catch *most* of the water..
Most edible greens grown with aquaponics need a lot of light. I underestimated how much they need and am going to be buying extra lights soon. Strong lights typically cost a lot of $, either you pay a lot upfront for a longer lasting light or get cheaper lights like cfls and replace often.
With nutrients I stuffed in omsocote+ root tabs + use liquid ferts periodically as some plants need more of one nutrient than others.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Tags
aquaponics, hydroponics, paludarium, riparium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode