Corner tank filtration - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Corner tank filtration

So it's the last day of 25% off at Petsmart and I'm looking at this thing:

I want a parrot ciclid, but that's just lying to myself.
It's probably going to end up with goldfish. They're currently in a 50 gal tote with a sump - I had no problem drilling a $20 plastic tote. Wouldn't want to drill that nice glass.

Can I get away with maybe some HOBs for 3 (maybe 4 if I put the female with the boys) large fancy goldfish?

I got a birthday Aquaclear 110 sitting around still in the package, but I doubt that'll be enough.... What should I do - I'm not even sure how to filter this thing, and the sale ends today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would just get two Fancy Goldfish for that 50 gallon tank. Goldfish are a huge bioload. The AquaClear 110 should be OK for that tank; alas, if you can afford another filter then maybe a canister filter like an Eheim 2213.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutl002 View Post
I would just get two Fancy Goldfish for that 50 gallon tank. Goldfish are a huge bioload. The AquaClear 110 should be OK for that tank; alas, if you can afford another filter then maybe a canister filter like an Eheim 2213.
I... could add a 2nd filter and it can be a canister. Never had one. How effective would something like this be since I won't be drilling an intake?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have a corner tank (92) and I don't think that I'd like it being off the wall far enough for a HOB. I run a wet-dry and sump.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 11:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Canisters are very effective for bigger tanks. No drilling of the tank glass should be necessary. Look at your stand; hopefully, there should be an opening underneath to run the input and output hoses behind and up to the top of the tank.

You may have to create an opening in your tank hood to allow for the hoses.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 08:13 AM
Algae Grower

You could also run a corner filter. I can't decide if I want to run a corner or canister, probably canister.
Cornerfilter Shop - SWISSTROPICALS

When live gives you lemons make a lemon drop.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonA View Post
You could also run a corner filter. I can't decide if I want to run a corner or canister, probably canister.
Cornerfilter Shop - SWISSTROPICALS
That's OK if the OP wants to keep just fish. If this is a planted tank with fish, the Matten Filter is going to need a motor pump that outlet pipes below the water surface. Because with the air lift system it will rapidly disperse all the CO2 the Goldfish make and the plants won't succeed as well.

Can I ask the OP if I can suggest an alternative fish for this tank?

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

Last edited by GrampsGrunge; 06-19-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: ....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode