2 Questions: Is this a Magnesium Deficiency and what is this sack? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By johnson18
  • 2 Post By Joe7cri

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2 Questions: Is this a Magnesium Deficiency and what is this sack?

Hello Everyone,

This morning I noticed this sack at the base of my bonsai tree, is this just some kind of mold/algae or something else? I can't get a great picture, but it's milky white translucent, and the size of a quarter.

Also, I don't think my Rosette Sword isn't looking so great. It's about 2 weeks old, and I've started noticing yellowing on the edges, and now there's a little brown. Is this Magnesium Deficiency?

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	762025  

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	762033  

Name:	IMG_1765.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	762041  

Joe
Northern Westchester, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 03:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
The sack is probably some sort of fungus which is common on wood within 6 months after flooding. It will go away on its own, or many fish & shrimp will happily munch on it.

The leaves on the sword are the emersed growth dying off as the plant transitions to the submersed form. Most people will tell you to go ahead and trim them off. I usually suggest leaving them until the majority of the green is gone from the leaf to allow the plant time to transport most of the mobile nutrients out of the leaves. Either way you want to cut the leaf off before it starts to rot. This should be done by cutting the stem as close to the base as possible, taking care not to nick the new growth or the main portion of the rosette base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joe7cri and Joe7cri like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the help!
johnson18 and johnson18 like this.

Joe
Northern Westchester, NY

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode