3Likes
  • 2 Post By Bunsen Honeydew
  • 2 Post By jrill
  • 2 Post By flukekiller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Which acclamation method works best ?

I am getting rather frustrated and depressed. We bought 6 rummy nose last night and 4 are missing and 2 are dead. The first time I tried with rummy nose, bought 6, 2 survived and are doing great, 4 dead. I waited 3-4 weeks between buying the first time and second time. I don't have any choice but Petco. Now they tell me (after testing my water, it is the best they have seen in weeks they said) that my acclamation method is wrong. They want me to float and dump! Years ago, I was told that is wrong. I now float the bag and then put them into a clean plastic container and drip for about 45-60 minutes. I net the fish into the tank. No store water ever gets into my tank. I started doing this when the last rather knowledgeable guy worked there and told me this was best. Now I read about checking Ph, TDS, float and dump, drip, combinations of methods, and all seem to have pros and cons. I have been using my method for a few years with great success. Now, I am being told I am wrong, again? Back to the old fashion float and dump? I take any fish deaths very personally, I am not a bad fish keeper, my fish live for years and years. The oldest is a healthy 10+ year old! Do you use different methods for different fish? Dark tank? Dark tank and dark room? What way is the least stressful for fish and best for survival? My tank is a 75 gallon and well planted with easy to grow plants. Thanks for your help and suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeforthebest View Post
I am getting rather frustrated and depressed. We bought 6 rummy nose last night and 4 are missing and 2 are dead. The first time I tried with rummy nose, bought 6, 2 survived and are doing great, 4 dead. I waited 3-4 weeks between buying the first time and second time. I don't have any choice but Petco. Now they tell me (after testing my water, it is the best they have seen in weeks they said) that my acclamation method is wrong. They want me to float and dump! Years ago, I was told that is wrong. I now float the bag and then put them into a clean plastic container and drip for about 45-60 minutes. I net the fish into the tank. No store water ever gets into my tank. I started doing this when the last rather knowledgeable guy worked there and told me this was best. Now I read about checking Ph, TDS, float and dump, drip, combinations of methods, and all seem to have pros and cons. I have been using my method for a few years with great success. Now, I am being told I am wrong, again? Back to the old fashion float and dump? I take any fish deaths very personally, I am not a bad fish keeper, my fish live for years and years. The oldest is a healthy 10+ year old! Do you use different methods for different fish? Dark tank? Dark tank and dark room? What way is the least stressful for fish and best for survival? My tank is a 75 gallon and well planted with easy to grow plants. Thanks for your help and suggestions!
You seem to have a good acclimation process, I'd probably chalk it up to the poor quality fish at Petco. Float and dump is usually only favorable when the fish have been shipped and in the bag for a long time. Smaller tetras like rummy's and neons are usually order at a great excess to what the store expects to sell. I'd look into buying online and having them shipped.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
DaveK and DaveK like this.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 09:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

So far I have succes with the drip acclimation but longer than 45-60 mins. I do it untill TDS of the container matches my tank water. This takes at least 4 hours every time (for me). Only do drip acclimation when you buy straight from the store. If you order them in bags for example online the drop method is better. This is because of the build up ammonia in the bag.

My Tanks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Subscribe to my

Follow me on

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Float and dump. Plenty of info out there that says that's the best. Check out the vids by Rachel O'Leary.
nel and nel like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
you will probably get all types of answers/variations to this question.. TBH i used to go through the drip acclimation
with a heater and air stone in the bucket ect. ( i mean the works) Then i started watching breeder videos and i was
suprised. IMO float and dump would be the best but by dump we dont mean dump the whole bag, so basically its
float, scoop(net) and plop. To tell you the truth, i dont even do that anymore, i just plop.!!(if you dont agree im fine
with that, to each his own) and i havent lost a fish through acclimation in roughly the last 15 yrs of my fish keeping.
one thing i do find that really helps is to lower the tank level to half or less depending, the reasoning behind this is that
the water pressure in the shipping bag is much less then your tank so this eases the fish, leave like that for an hour or
so then start filling it by a third every 30 min until full.. just my 2 cents

fyi, i have done this with my discus and stingrays
nel and nel like this.

Last edited by flukekiller; 06-03-2017 at 11:23 PM. Reason: added info
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 11:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Since you are buying fish from PetCo, you need to get them out of the bag (s) as soon as you get fish home. The 'drop and plop' method is your best chance of having the fish survive.

This not to say that the fish won't have problems. If they have been living in ammonia-filled tanks before you bought them, they may pull through, they may not. The best thing to do is keep pristine water conditions and allow them to recover.... as much as they can anyway.

EDIT: Here is a picture of a white skirt tetra that I bought last year from Pet Co. I managed to keep her alive for 6 months

Last edited by Smooch; 06-04-2017 at 12:04 AM. Reason: picture added
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 01:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

Drip acclimation is pointless because it takes fish several days or even weeks to adjust to different water chemistry....assuming they can. The best approach is to float the bag long enough for the temps to equalize, then net (or pour through a net into a waste bucket and gently place the fish in the tank.
HOWEVER, make sure your tank has good water as old tank syndrome can be a killer for new fish (while 'old' fish slowly adjusted to old, bad, tank water)!

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode