Taking an extended break - can I keep anything? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Taking an extended break - can I keep anything?

So, my HC carpet lifted off and I'm having some fert deficiencies that I think I've managed to get back in order but not without leaving all my reineckii in bad shape. Anyway, I was going to re-scape but I think I'm going to take a break for a while...anywhere from 6-10 months. We're getting a dog soon and I'll need/want to focus on that addition to our family routines first. I'm wondering if there's anything I ought to do or can do with the bacteria that's now well grown and established in my filter substrate. Can I keep it for that long or will I be really starting from scratch?

Thanks,

My first tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Algae Grower

In your substrate yes put the sand in a tub with heater and power head. Do regular water changes that should keep bacteria in the sand be alive.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

Not worth the time or effort in my opinion. Trying to keep the bacteria alive in the substrate will require feeding ammonia and oxygenating the water so that means no seal container having to dose ammonia consistently to feed bacteria. Its possible to do but your best bet is to just start your filter on a 5gal pail about a 4-6 weeks before you plan to start back up and do a fishless cycle. Then set your aquarium up and transfer your filter over.

Dan

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The aquasoil? Hmm...That would mean I need to get a power head but I think that's doable. I strongly prefer less frequent water changes - could I get away with once every 2 weeks?
What about the filter media?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Not worth the time or effort in my opinion. Trying to keep the bacteria alive in the substrate will require feeding ammonia and oxygenating the water so that means no seal container having to dose ammonia consistently to feed bacteria. Its possible to do but your best bet is to just start your filter on a 5gal pail about a 4-6 weeks before you plan to start back up and do a fishless cycle. Then set your aquarium up and transfer your filter over.

Dan
Ah...that sounds good. I can do that. Thanks!

My first tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-04-2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 05:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Dry the soil and put it in a few ziplock bags. Clean the tank up and store neatly. I've learned it's better to store it for a while instead of always selling and buying new.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 06:43 AM
Planted Member

You are one of the few owners of ADA 60-P who has the same tank for 2years. From reading the threads, it seems most people tear down theirs shortly after 9- 15 months for various reasons. But mainly due to high up keep and algae issues. Alot of local fish farms here in SG, advertise 17G or 60x30x36cm as the most popular tanks despite it being a nano tank = not for beginners.

Might be good to just start over. Just take note of those plants that had grown well and use them again for the new tank.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've heard that too. I've heard larger tanks are supposed to be easier to upkeep but no first hand experience. I really didn't mind the maintenance and will probably tear it down (once I find a home for my two SAEs) and start it up again. Maybe I'll consider a low-tech thank instead.

My first tank:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode