Would this be high light ? - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Would this be high light ?

Hello would 1 fluval 2.0 be high light for an ADA 120-p.

120cm/45cm/45cm
or
48in/18in/18in

The actual light is 48in long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One fluval 2.0 , high light, anyone ?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
High enough to grow ludwigia white

i'd label your light and depth in the medium-high category, in between
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

From what I know of the light I would say probably not. When you start getting past 12 inches width, most go with 2 led strips of that ilk (Current, Finnex, etc). Have you looked at sbreeflights?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 03:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would say more like low/middle of med light based off par data. About 60 par in the middle at 18" so 2 of these may get you to high light but I am no expert.

Dan
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
High light is often considered at least about 50 PAR at the substrate, so if your light will give you 60 at 18", you are probably good with one light IMO.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...ar-values.html

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 04:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
High light is often considered at least about 50 PAR at the substrate, so if your light will give you 60 at 18", you are probably good with one light IMO.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10...ar-values.html
I would have to disagree with 50 par being high light. It may grow high light plants but I would not consider it high light. 80par I would consider high light but I am no expert. I have done a lot of reading and almost everywhere this seems to be the standard. Again it doesn't mean you can't grow high light plants at 50 par.

Added: Let me explain why I feel that way. 60 par smack dab in the center but as you move away from the center the par will drop so when you look at the tank as a whole some spots will be maybe 30ish par, definitely not high light by any standard. that's why I recommended 2 of these to put it at high light. You now can work with high light plants anywhere in the aquarium not just the highest par location and end up having high light plants elsewhere performing sub par (pun intended).

Dan
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

Last edited by Dman911; 05-30-2017 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendust111 View Post
From what I know of the light I would say probably not. When you start getting past 12 inches width, most go with 2 led strips of that ilk (Current, Finnex, etc). Have you looked at sbreeflights?

Alright I bought one of the fluval 2.0's yesterday and it seemed very bright. I planned on getting two but I was just asking if one would do it.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
I would have to disagree with 50 par being high light. It may grow high light plants but I would not consider it high light. 80par I would consider high light but I am no expert. I have done a lot of reading and almost everywhere this seems to be the standard. Again it doesn't mean you can't grow high light plants at 50 par.

Added: Let me explain why I feel that way. 60 par smack dab in the center but as you move away from the center the par will drop so when you look at the tank as a whole some spots will be maybe 30ish par, definitely not high light by any standard. that's why I recommended 2 of these to put it at high light. You now can work with high light plants anywhere in the aquarium not just the highest par location and end up having high light plants elsewhere performing sub par (pun intended).

Dan
I don't necessarily disagree, but it is easier (or at least cheaper) to add a 2nd light if needed. Another benefit of a second light is that it would make it easier to light the tank evenly front to back and increase the high light footprint. You are correct though that there a range of opinions here, and this is also demonstrated in the link that I posted. In such situations, I usually defer to the experts (Tom Barr and Hoppy).

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYE.__.HIGH View Post
Hello would 1 fluval 2.0 be high light for an ADA 120-p.

120cm/45cm/45cm
or
48in/18in/18in

The actual light is 48in long
Hi @Skye_HIGH,

Your tank is approximately 17.7" deep; allowing a couple of inches for substrate 16" deep; at full output the Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 will provide slightly less than [email protected] at the substrate level....definitely high light!! How do I know? I have two of the Fluval F&P 2.0 and access to an Apogee PAR Meter and have checked the output.
harley, harley, Dman911 and 1 others like this.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 05:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @Skye_HIGH,

Your tank is approximately 17.7" deep; allowing a couple of inches for substrate 16" deep; at full output the Fluval Fresh and Plant 2.0 will provide slightly less than [email protected] at the substrate level....definitely high light!! How do I know? I have two of the Fluval F&P 2.0 and access to an Apogee PAR Meter and have checked the output.
That is with 2 lights correct?

Dan
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
That is with 2 lights correct?

Dan
Hi Dan,

That would be with just one (1) Fluval F&P 2.0 fixture on the subject tank.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 05:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Hi Dan,

Wow that's vastly different then what I have seen claimed by fluval. here is one that says 66 @18" the other I read is [email protected]". IDK you have the par meter but that's more than double what fluval claims.

Aqualife & Plant Performance LED | Aquarium Lighting | Fluval

Dan

Bump: Is this the 3991 or 3992 we are talking about? Both will work for 48"

Dan
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Hi Dan,

That is a bit higher than what Fluval has listed on their site.

Bump:
Quote:
Wow that's vastly different then what I have seen claimed by fluval. here is one that says 66 @18" the other I read is [email protected]". IDK you have the par meter but that's more than double what fluval claims.

Dan

Bump: Is this the 3991 or 3992 we are talking about? Both will work for 48"

Dan
The OP says that their light (actual fixture) is 48", so probably the A3992. If so, that is probably enough light with one fixture.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Dan,

I took my readings in a 20 high and because there was driftwood and tall crypts in the middle the only clear area of the substrate was in the middle closer to the front of the tank; it is likely that light reflecting off of the glass impacted the PAR reading. On my 30 gallon long I was able to take a reading in the middle of that tank and at 12" depth to substrate I got [email protected] @ max output with no glass top.....still high light. PAR reading can be effected by the type of sensor used, as well as whether the readings are taken underwater or in 'free-air'. If underwater, then you deal with water clarity issues, surface agitation, and sometimes even fish swimming by (sometimes they are curious - lol). It is likely that SKY-HIGH should have sufficient light to grow most plant species with that light and depth.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

Roy_________

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode