Low vs High Flow - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low vs High Flow

Hey guys,

I tried doing some digging but I couldn't find an answer to this question and I was hoping maybe you guys could help.

I was wondering what is the ranges for a low flow vs high flow in the aquarium?? Is it based on the turnover rate?? Or is it more based on the currents you see in the tank itself??

Right now in my 55 gallon I have a Fluval 305 that has quite a bit of stuff inline before it returns to the tank and I have a vortech MP10 which has a range of 200-1500 gph. Right now I'm running it at the lower end of the range so maybe 200-300gph.

Does that put me into high flow??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Good morning Aflac,

Your flow rate where it stands is good, I like to keep my tanks at least at 10X turnover so you are at around 385 485 which is decent.

If you grow out your plants and find that you have a bunch of dead spots just turn up your MP10

I have a Eheim g160 and a g90 on my 55 but it's overstocked. When the plants grow out before trimming i will sometimes throw in a 450 gph powerhead

My tank before adding lots of fish 4 plecos 50 Venezuelan red corries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151213_093205.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	751986  

Last edited by caique; 04-30-2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: add
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
Good morning Aflac,

Your flow rate where it stands is good, I like to keep my tanks at least at 10X turnover so you are at around 385 485 which is decent.
So if the tank flowrate is good, would pretty much any fish be ok in there or would certain fish struggle with that much flow?? Specifically I'm looking at getting a gourami which I understand like lower flow and I'm wondering if they'd be alright in my tank or if they'd get pushed around a little too much.

Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Let your tank do the talking. The flow you want and direction of current you want is one that passes water as equally as possible to each plant and is strong enough to force debris sitting on the floor to get into the water column to be picked up by your filter. For me this is on the higher side at about 9/10x's volume. It's important to be mindful when putting in pumps to consider the directional flow of the tank. Trimming will also be an important factor in this equation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode