Will this be too much moving around for my fish? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By redavalanche

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Will this be too much moving around for my fish?

So like 2 months ago I started up a little 10 gallon tank. I cycled it with the fish in(C. paleatus and H. eques) and as soon as it finished cycling, I transferred everything but the gravel over to a 29 gallon I picked up a few weeks back. I replaced the gravel with sand so my corys could appreciate it a little easier. This current tank has been running for 19 days now, no problems so far. Been testing with the api kit and water changes. My question is: Would it be stressful/ a bad idea to move them one more time? I just copped a 40 breeder today for Petco's 50% off deal, and I want to set it up so bad, but I don't want to put the fish through another cycle? I mean technically I seeded my current 30 gallon with the filter from my 10, so these last two moves will not have been full cycle's, but still. Filters are 2 aqueon quietflows- the 10 and the 30.

After my 40 cycles, I'd like to sell my filters and get one unit. Preferably a used canister but also broke boy. Whatcha think?

Oh, and btw... I have 4 peppered corys, 6 agassizii's corys, and 4 serpaes. For now. https://imgur.com/a/zQ35X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 03:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Why not leave the 29 going and set up the 40 after you are sure the 29 is cycled.
klibs and klibs like this.

I should be reading the Fertilizers and Water Parameters forum
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by redavalanche View Post
Why not leave the 29 going and set up the 40 after you are sure the 29 is cycled.
I was planning on moving my crested gecko to the 29, move fish to the 40, and either keep or sell the 20H that my crestie is in

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:00 PM
Algae Grower

Likely okay, but sounds stressful. If you want to play it conservatively, it might be worth waiting for the water parameters of the 40 to settle in to something close/identical to the 29. I would also recommend "seeding" the 40 with established media from the 29 when you're ready for the switch.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch Flat View Post
Likely okay, but sounds stressful. If you want to play it conservatively, it might be worth waiting for the water parameters of the 40 to settle in to something close/identical to the 29. I would also recommend "seeding" the 40 with established media from the 29 when you're ready for the switch.
Yeah, I set the tank up with a small piece of driftwood w/ moss on it, manzanita branch, and some substrate. I plan on seeding in a few days while my extra media has some good growth on it. Thanks!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
Doesn't sound like a problem, think about it the cory's will be like wow we moved into a bigger house, cool.

Just use the established media from the 29.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by caique View Post
Doesn't sound like a problem, think about it the cory's will be like wow we moved into a bigger house, cool.

Just use the established media from the 29.

Hahaha, So the tank started running on the 22nd. I added 6 neon tetras on the 23rd. One of them decided to commit suicide via my fluval 206 intake. I added Tetra safe start on the 25th(yesterday). Im planning on adding my 6 paleatus' over soon to make sure it goes smoothly before I make the big transition with the rest of the substrate, plants, and wood. I'll probably even move my hob filters over just to make sure everything goes perfectly.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Algae Grower

When I first started... I think I re-aquascaped my 10g at a minimum every 6 months, which is basically what you are doing. I used same substrate and filter media with no problems in fish health. I was using bomb proof white clouds though which I still have. It will be fine, Imo.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
make sure the 29g is fully cycled then just use the filter media on the 40g and you should be fine to transfer everything over

as long as you stay on top of water changes / check ammonia levels you will be fine

don't rush things, it's not worth it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode