Gunk eating fish? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gunk eating fish?

I have a 55 gallon tank that is HEAVILY planted with driftwood and my tank inhabitants are

5 butterfly koi no bigger than 5 inches
2 shubunkins
2 pond comets
1 black moor
2 algae eaters
10 olive nerite snails
3 dojo loaches
1 orange oranda
1 ryunkin

I know koi get big, I am getting a bigger tank when they outgrow this one

My issue is that since it is so heavily planted that when I change the water, I can see a LAYER of gunk or what I call gunk anyways, it looks like gray brownish particles that just formed a layer over the years and everytime a fish gets into the plants or I use the glass scraper, it clouds the water. So my question is, what do I do, and how do I get rid of it, or what eats it??? Any help would be appreciated

Destinee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:13 AM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
Aren't koi pond fish? I'd get rid of them or make a nice pond if you have the space and funds for that.

You need to vacuum the gravel pretty thoroughly. Koi and goldfish are messy fish, and your tank seems overstocked.

Also, how do you keep the koi and goldfish from eating the plants?
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:15 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Goldfish are naturally very messy fish- you're going to have to have some super filtration with such a heavy bio-load.

I don't think there's a fish that's going to eat the "gunk". You just have to have good filtration and probably do very frequent water changes.

Goldfish are known to eat aquatic plants... have they nibbled on yours at all?

EDIT: Agreed with justlikeapill. Koi really do better in outdoor ponds. They won't reach their full potential in an aquarium, unless it's extremely big.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Honestly I have had the koi for almost a year, they havent gotten much bigger, from what ive read about them, they grow pretty slow. I do plan on getting a 210 gallon tank to put them in as they grow. I think koi are such pretty fish, and you cant really see them in a pond, other than the top view. They are beautiful in a tank, especially the buttefly koi. I havent had a problem with them eating the plants, atleast not that I have noticed. I do pretty good with just changing the water, I havent had any water issues. And no spikes or anything like that in the levels. I think im pretty lucky in that area. I will try and put some pics up for you guys. Maybe that will give you a better idea of what I got goin on But right now the koi are so small, I think I have a while before I need to upgrade the tank I rent a house, so I dont wanna put a pond in because it would be money wasted one day.

Any filter you might reccomend? I have a crappy topfin one.

And should I get one that is up to 100 gallons? I heard that if you get a filter meant for a bigger tank, its double the filtration or something like that, or better in general? Is this true?

Destinee
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
As suggested, you need to:

1. Remove the koi
2. Vacuum the gravel every time you do a water change

Tony

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and my

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:33 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
As already mentioned, but worth repeating, the Koi should be moved to a pond.

You have a very heavily stocked 55g aquarium. In addition, why are you keeping tropical fish and coldwater fish in the same aquarium?

There is no animal that will eat the detritus that has accumulated. You will have to manually remove it during your water changes.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:33 AM
Banned

Get the largest canister filter you can afford. I mean, a big one. Don't skimp out. Get the one with the highest flow rate and largest media yielding capability.

You might consider a sump, in fact. I can't give more specific recommendations because I've never dealt with goldfish or koi other than a goldfish in a fishbowl as a kid.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I do not plan on removing the koi, They are very small, and as I said before, I plan on getting a bigger tank. I am asking for advice on my tank with the fish that I have. I am well aware on how big koi get and all that jazz, and yes they are pond fish, but im kinda going for a indoor pond, if ya know what I mean I acually plan on getting rid of the 2 pond comets tommorow, I am trading them for a few bamboo shrimp at LFS. But I like the koi, they look much better in a aquarium to me than a pond.

Destinee
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
As already mentioned, but worth repeating, the Koi should be moved to a pond.

You have a very heavily stocked 55g aquarium. In addition, why are you keeping tropical fish and coldwater fish in the same aquarium?

There is no animal that will eat the detritus that has accumulated. You will have to manually remove it during your water changes.
tropical fish as in the dojo loaches?

at my LFS they had the loaches in a tank with no heater.
My tank is 74 degrees, I just looked at the temp gauge. The dojo loaches are swimming around happy as can be. They seem to love their home.

Destinee
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlikeapill View Post
Get the largest canister filter you can afford. I mean, a big one. Don't skimp out. Get the one with the highest flow rate and largest media yielding capability.

You might consider a sump, in fact. I can't give more specific recommendations because I've never dealt with goldfish or koi other than a goldfish in a fishbowl as a kid.
Well, I can afford to get a pretty BIG filter, possibly one meant for up to 300 gallons. But is this nessesary for a 55 gallon tank?

****** I updated my profile picture on here to my current aquarium***** I couldnt figure out how to post a picture of it, any other way******

Thank you for any advice or guidance you all may have, but I do not plan on getting rid of the koi, so advice other than that would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Destinee
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:53 AM
Banned

For that huge bioload, I suggest a large canister filter. I love Eheims.

For the big 200 gallon tank, I really would use a sump, then you can put the canister you buy for your current tank on that tank, too, to add supplemental filtration and flow.

One thing you could do, if you have your heart set on koi, is to trade them out for babies, let them grow a little while, then trade them out again and so on and so forth. I think koi can get upwards to 30 inches.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinee View Post
Well, I can afford to get a pretty BIG filter, possibly one meant for up to 300 gallons. But is this nessesary for a 55 gallon tank?
One thing I have learned in all my years of keeping fish (both fresh and marine) is overfiltration is far better than under filtration. if you buy and oversized cannister filter, and find the flow rate is too much you can allways add a ball valve to the pickup line and throttle it back so it doesnt turn the tank into a whirlpool. if you planning on upgrading to a larger tank anyways you will aready have your filtration. rather than buy somethign slightly bigger for now and then buying again in the future.

as for the accumulated detritus using an air tubing secured (I use zip ties) to an acrylic rod, will allow you to reach easily down to the detritus, just siphon it out, with the flow rate of the siphon through the air line you should have no problem siphoning most of the "gunk" out at your waterchanges.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefkprZ View Post
as for the accumulated detritus using an air tubing secured (I use zip ties) to an acrylic rod, will allow you to reach easily down to the detritus, just siphon it out, with the flow rate of the siphon through the air line you should have no problem siphoning most of the "gunk" out at your waterchanges.
Just a tad bit of a hijack but, that is a great idea. Never thought of that. Would work great in my 10 gal shrimp tank.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
You could get a few small powerheads aimed towards the bottom to keep all that detrius suspended in the water longer. That way, your filter has a better chance of sucking that stuff up. Like other's have stated, get the biggest filter you can for that tank. Pack it with coarse and fine sponges. You could also keep your hob's as some additional filtration. You WILL need it.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

not to just jump on the bandwagon, but your tank is very overstocked, I see that you dont want to change your fish and thats your choice, but even without the koi, I would still say that your tank borders on overstocked, goldfish can get really big, I have a 300+ gallon pond outside and the comets I bought at 1" each are now mostly 6"-8" in about 1-2 years, so yes they may grow slow, but they have the potential to get 12"+ each, plus koi can get well over 24" in time. The point being the fish in your 55 gallon will have stunted growth, and they are dirty fish so as others said if you even hope to keep them happy get the biggest filter you can. And even a 210 gallon tank will be overstocked with that load of goldfish, maybe not now but in time.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode