cant catch fish in the net!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
cant catch fish in the net!!

Hello all -

I'm trying to move my female guppies to a new home since I'm starting to have a guppy-fest in the tank. Seemed like a good plan, but I can't catch them in the net!!

My tank is 24 inches deep and there are lots of plants -without trashing plants all over the place I can't seem to catch these girls. I got two, but the other two are wise to me now and I skittish about the net.

Anyone have any tricks to catch fish in the net in a planted tank? I am flopping around with the net trying to catch them and stressing out the entire population

Someone tell me the secret!! thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:37 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
catch them at night when the tank has been dark for a while. that works for me.

What would Honey Badger do?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:44 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Use two nets. You can use the first net to chase the fish into the second net.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Put the net in the water before feeding time and catch them while they are at the top eating.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
It's alot easier to catch fish when you do a water change. Less water for them to swim and hide.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
+1 to all the suggestions so far. I've used them all successfully. Try catching them when the lights go off, then try feeding and catching, then try two nets, then go the WC route!

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
This is something that I have done for as long as I can remember. I cannot remember where I learned it from. It only works on smaller fish, so I havent used it in a couple of years with my cichlids, but it works great nevertheless.

Take a plastic waterbottle or two liter bottle. Obviously, make sure the bottle is clean and tank-safe. First, remove the cap. Cut off the top portion a couple inches below where the neck turns into the straight portion of the bottle. Now you have two pieces, the one containing the neck and a elongated tube with the base of the bottle. Next, take the neck piece and place it inside the other piece with the narrowest portion facing the base of the bottle.

Warning: terrible attempt at visual aid.
____________ _______
................._/
......1.........[_ <-------Fish go this way
____________\_______

This system on the basis that it is very easy for the fish to swim into the area 1, yet difficult for them to come out. Once this is setup, sink it into a corner of your tank, and corrall the fish in that general direction. Once you have the fish in area 1, simply pull the bottle out of the tank, remove the neck portion and either net the fish out of area one into the new tank or simply place the bottle with neck removed into the other tank so the fish can freely swim out.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
i'm with oldpunk. you can even do a temporary blackout. cover the tank completely so no light gets in and let it sit for an hour or two. rip the blanket off and catch them quickly before they wake up.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
bait the net and wait for the fish to cath it self
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
lol!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, we're hours into this now!
I tried flashlight, blacking out the tank, two nets, baiting the net.

I also tried that old fashioned 'just hold the net in the middle of the tank, very still, and hope the girl swims over'. Someones tipping her off!!

I am trying the two bottle trap approach tonight!!!
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
I usually do the 2 net thing and works most of the time although sometimes there is that one finicky fish that does not want to give in at all. The bottle idea sounds really promising!

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaybiswas View Post
I usually do the 2 net thing and works most of the time although sometimes there is that one finicky fish that does not want to give in at all. The bottle idea sounds really promising!
It took me a while to understand the bottle idea, but I think it's pretty brilliant! I made a bottle trap last night then decided it was too small and if the fish freaked out in there they would hurt themselves. So, I'm gotta go get a 2 liter today and go for it !
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I made a trap out of a 2 liter bottle, put 2 algae wafer in there and waited. Nobody went in! I got the idea that they couldn't even smell the wafers and didn't recognize them by sights. So, I poked tiny little holes in the bottle just to let it distribute the scent around a bit.

It's been in the tank for about 10 minutes, not much interest. But, I can wait.. We'll see
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
The bottle method works if you walk away for about a while and don't disturb them. The fastest method in a planted tank for me, is to just do a massive water change. When their isn't much water you can catch them easier.

-----
Brad

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode