Driftwood...?! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Driftwood...?!

So I went to vacation with my hubby to WI and as usual I went to check out an antique store, there I found a little piece of driftwood for like a buck and it's perfect for my 2.5. It was a little dusty and looks like malaysian driftwood so I thought why not try it. It is very light piece of wood and it's been soaking for like 3 days now but it won't sink
So my question is if I let it sit for another week will it sink? If not any suggestions on how to make it sink? What other thing should I look out for that might tell me it's not a good idea to put it in the tank?

I will boil it before putting it in the tank, because I want to get rid of some tannins.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Most of all I think you need to be concerned about rotting. If it doesn't rot it should eventually sink, but weigh it down with something. The water pressure will be greater at the bottom of whatever ur soaking it in than at the top. This will cause it to become water logged faster.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Boil it!

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Sometimes it takes weeks for them to absorb enough water to sink. 3 days is just the start! Boiling it will kill any nasties in the wood. It also helps release any tannins in it.

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffgong View Post
Most of all I think you need to be concerned about rotting. If it doesn't rot it should eventually sink, but weigh it down with something. The water pressure will be greater at the bottom of whatever ur soaking it in than at the top. This will cause it to become water logged faster.
That mine concern too so thats why I have it soaking in a container for now and planing to do this for at least 2 weeks. I also do have a big rock on top of it to keep it down.
How do you tell if wood might rot?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

WI eh? ( ; Let is soak for a week/month then boil it for a couple minutes to kill the "nasties" and you should be good! Just make sure it isn't rotting.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Gal View Post
Sometimes it takes weeks for them to absorb enough water to sink. 3 days is just the start! Boiling it will kill any nasties in the wood. It also helps release any tannins in it.
A month?! I hope it will take a bit less than a month i am so impatient...
I always boil all the wood I get, to kill all the nasties and release tannins, I even have a special pot for it. LOL

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
WI eh? ( ; Let is soak for a week/month then boil it for a couple minutes to kill the "nasties" and you should be good! Just make sure it isn't rotting.
WI is awesome! This was my first visit but not the last, my hubby's stepdad has a cottage just out side Hayward so this will be our yearly thing now. The outdoors are beautiful in WI

How do I know if the wood is rotting? What should I look for?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
It will start getting soft if it's rotting.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffgong View Post
It will start getting soft if it's rotting.
Thanks!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 05:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mott View Post
Boil it!
yup!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode