brine shrimp - which adult fish will still eat nauplii? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
brine shrimp - which adult fish will still eat nauplii?

I'm thinking about buying a brine shrimp hatchery kit (see below), but I see that it's only for hatching eggs and not for growing the brine shrimp further. I don't have fry anymore, but I have a some platies, neon tetras, black neons, rasboras, dwarf gourami, and SAEs. Would any of these fish eat the nauplii or are they too small for adult sized fish?

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=4445
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
It's actually pretty easy to grow brine shrimp from nauplii to adult. You can transfer them to a simple cup once they hatch and feed them there.
Here is a little article that should help you.
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...ng_Shrimp.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Raising up brine shrimp to adult can be done, but adult brine shrimp isn't that good a food for fish. It's also a considerable amount of work. Even newly hatched brine shrimp, unless you get it right away isn't a great food.

I think you'd get much better results, with a lot less work, if you set up some white work cultures. You can grow them in plastic shoe boxes, dirt and oatmeal for food. You could also consider micro worms, or wingless fruit flies.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:45 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I thought the OP was asking whether or not baby brine shrimp (nauplii) are still suitable for adult fish to eat.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I thought the OP was asking whether or not baby brine shrimp (nauplii) are still suitable for adult fish to eat.
Back to that question

IMO I think the neon tetras and rasboras would enjoy some baby brine shrimp, and I really don't see why other fish wouldn't.

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:50 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I was under the impression that you could also feed baby brine shrimp to adult fish with no problems. They will definitely eat more though, so it is not a viable option for the long term.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
brine shrimp lose most of their nutritional value in the first 12hours of life. after that they are "popcorn" nothing more.

As for feeding baby brine to adult fish, any smaller predatory fish with eyesite good enough to spot them will definatly eat them. most of the fish on your list should definitely consider the nauplii a great snack.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Raising up brine shrimp to adult can be done, but adult brine shrimp isn't that good a food for fish. It's also a considerable amount of work. Even newly hatched brine shrimp, unless you get it right away isn't a great food.

I think you'd get much better results, with a lot less work, if you set up some white work cultures. You can grow them in plastic shoe boxes, dirt and oatmeal for food. You could also consider micro worms, or wingless fruit flies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I suppose we each interpret the question differently.

IMHO, the OP was considering getting a a brine shrimp hatchery kit, and asking if his fish would eat the nauplii.

You saw this as a simple question of would the fish eat it.

I saw it from the standpoint of the purchase of a piece of equipment, which means spending some money, to raise brine shrimp, which doesn't have much nutritional value.

So I answered the implied question about raising brine shrimp, and offered possible, better alternatives.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Thanks for all your replies. You guys are both right regarding what I was asking. For anyone interested, that kit doesn't require aeration, but the hatching efficiency is only about 2-3% based on one fairly in depth review I read.

In any case, I did some reading about raising brine shrimps to adults and it seems like a pain, so I'll just stick with the microworms I have now.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 05:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)
Having bred a few fish in my time, I can hatch brine shrimp eggs in my sleep . I feed BBS for a couple reasons (live blackworms are my other favorite to feed).

1) It's fun! Even the shy fish spastically dart around until they have bulging, pink bellies. Shortly after, many will engage in displaying or other interesting social behaviors.

2) If your tank contains fish that readily breed and has enough cover, you might be feeding fry you didn't know existed. Makes for a much more active display, IMO.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
I feed all of my leftover BBS to my adult celestial pearl danios, fireline danios, and glowlight danios (:
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Algae Grower

Baby Brine Shrimp Is Good For Adult Fish And My Rasbora Harlequins Really Enjoy Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by superguppy View Post
I'm thinking about buying a brine shrimp hatchery kit (see below), but I see that it's only for hatching eggs and not for growing the brine shrimp further. I don't have fry anymore, but I have a some platies, neon tetras, black neons, rasboras, dwarf gourami, and SAEs. Would any of these fish eat the nauplii or are they too small for adult sized fish?

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=4445

I have a San Francisco Bay Shrimpery BBS hatchery that runs all the time.

I have fancy guppies who have fry from time to time that benefit, and I feed my Harlequin Rasboras and fancy guppies, baby brine shrimp almost daily, as part of a diet regimen.

Every few days I add about a 1/4 of a teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs to the Shrimpery and within 18 - 36 hours they have begun to hatch. I overlap by adding new BBS eggs while the previously added BBS eggs are hatching, this way I always have a ready supply of BBS for my adult fish, and any fry that suddenly show up as new residents of my aquariums.

Hatching BBS is very easy, however, growing them to adulthood is more difficult and very time consuming. Besides, with smaller fish like the Rasbora, a full size brine shrimp is really too large for them to consume in one bite, while they can easily swallow BBS.

And they do seem to be alot more active since I have been feeding them BBS everyday, along with a good quality flake food and several kinds of freeze dried foods (which I alternate from day to day).
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I made my own, just a 1 quart food storage container and the smallest air bubbler. I clipped it inside my brackish water tank to keep it warm. Any splashes of the salt water from the hatchery just fell into the brackish water tank.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Algae Grower

I bought some frozen Brine shrimp and the White Cloud minnows seem to like them, also my Red Cap Oranda seems to like them fine, not as main food though, added to flakes.

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Sure, they would love a live food treat.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode