Planted tanks in their rooms: keeping things tidy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Planted tanks in their rooms: keeping things tidy

This is probably going to be a strange request, and I might ramble. But I'm going to give it a shot.

Often when I'm looking at pictures and journals of tanks here (and elsewhere), I am struck by the rooms that the tanks are in. I'd really love to get some advice, and see some pictures, and see some discussion, about peoples' philosophies about keeping planted tanks and the rooms they're in neat, clean, and in some kind of harmony.

This is NOT something I'm good at, at all. In general my place is a mess, and even when my tanks look good the stands the area surrounding them looks cluttered. Mostly that's my own fault; I've always been that way. Now I've got two young kids and it just gets worse.

The pictures that I see of beautiful tanks on beautiful stands in beautiful rooms are a real inspiration for me, and give me something to strive for.

Any of you super-neat people have any thoughts on this? And pictures!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Well I'm naturally very neat and clean. I'm constantly picking up after my kids and trying to keep the house organized. It can be a lot of work, but I love the end result. Make it a habit and it becomes easier.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Most stuff goes in the stand. Stuff I use regularly (ferts, food, dechlor) are in a drawer so I don't have to bend over to get it. Easier = cleaner.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scags View Post
Well I'm naturally very neat and clean. I'm constantly picking up after my kids and trying to keep the house organized. It can be a lot of work, but I love the end result. Make it a habit and it becomes easier.

Certainly something I am fighting here is my own nature. I certainly recognize that some people are (or seem to be) naturally neat and clean; the things they do to keep things organized seem to be second nature. I'm not that way at all.

Constantly picking up after the kids (and myself, and my wife) is something I can, and do, attempt to get better at. Unfortunately it comes in waves. Changing one's nature seems to be, surprisingly, difficult.

Still, I've been getting better, and more involved, this hobby. The more I read and look for inspiration, the more I recognize the importance of "peripheral" variables that I'd previously either not noticed or ignored.

I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone else who HAS managed to make a sort of cross-over, from being naturally inclined toward disarray and chaos to being fastidious and cleanliness, especially anyone who's done so in relation to keeping planted tanks.

Granted, that seems like a very specific set of parameters; but it strikes me that keeping planted tanks lends itself toward being organized and tidy, and so anyone who comes at it and is not that way may struggle with the same thing I'm struggling with. OR maybe not.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I hide most of the disarray in another room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
I'm a messy extremely lazy sloth, so I have a mess everwhere, I'm not gonna really bother to clean much unless I really have to cuz in a couple days it'll become messy again...
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Trash stuff you don't need. That's the best way I find to keep things neat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
My room tends to switch between the states of aquaman's two different rooms daily. You could probably come in one day thinking I was a neat freak/OCD and then come in the next day (or sometimes just a few hours later) and wonder how I make it from my door to my bed.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
I hide most of the disarray in another room.
Out of sight, out of mind. I love it!

I have a 6' wide closet in my extra bedroom that is piled from floor to ceiling. I have to push in on the stack of junk to close the door.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
my room is a mess... im probably going to be moving my aquariums to another room haha
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I do clean up everything and get it all neat looking once and awhile, but usually I just tell people please excuse the clutter and mess, I'm working on a new aquarium project. (grin)
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Trash stuff you don't need. That's the best way I find to keep things neat.
That will help you so much. I used to be someone who would hold on to things I didn't need, I tend to keep car parts to cars I don't own anymore. I have slowly been trashing or selling off old things and I realized it is hard to be dirty when you don't have much to leave around. Having a girlfriend helps greatly too, assuming you are old enough for them to be sleeping over.

I am not a neatfreek at all either so I tend to put a lot of things in boxes even if I don't organize them. It's the same mess, you just can't see it anymore lol.

-Matt

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
i store all my aquarium stuff in a old armoir in the the garage. I make every effort to keep the display area clutter free not only by keeping it clean but also by maintaining a simple decor in that area so that only the tank adds most of the visual interest there.

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to JByer323 Send a message via Skype™ to JByer323
My aquarium is in my room. I tend to keep my room/apartment pretty clean looking.

For the ladies, you know.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

PTrader: (105/94%)
Having a 4 almost 5 year old makes keeping my house clean for more then 3 hours is a chore for me. I am not the tidiest of people to begin with, but I have forced a habit for myself to pick up bits of trash and just throw them out. Every night I cook, and my husband does the dishes. That is our trade off. Then my "cleaning" day is Sunday. Otherwise, I just try to tidy up everyday.

Tags
house, neat, room

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode