Need help with New Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help with New Tank

So I got a new tank from a friend that had it sitting in his garage great condition and all. The problem is I can't figure out how many gallons and where to get a hood and lighting system that will work for this tank. Dimensions are 22x22x24 Its a cube shaped tank. Any ideas on gallons and where to get a top for this thing. I'll post pics later tonight also at this height would I be able to get away with t5 if I stick to low light plants or would i have to go metal halide? Also if this tank is to odd of a shape am I better off dumping it and buying a new one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 PM

Need help with New Tank

Looks like you've got around 50 gallons.

Glass tops are fairly available on the interwebs so just search all the prominent aquarium suppliers.

I've seen some awesome aquascapes in cubes so I'd say go for, especially if you came by the tank cheap. I'd think if you tried to simulate a large mountain-like terrain surrounded by a valley on all four sides would look pretty neat.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Awesome yes I was going to have it in a corner at an angle so you could view from 3 sides fairly well and have my center piece either be a rock formation or a larger piece of drift wood. I just did a search for a 50 gallon cube or square tank and came up with absolutely nothing I cant even find a company that sells square tanks is this something that has gone out of style?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
22 * 22 * (24 (in^3)) = 50.2857143 US gallons.

With regards to cube tank popularity, they are really popular in smaller sizes, such as the cube gardens that ADA and various other places sell.

On hoods: For the hood, you could simply make a cover out of acrylic, plexi, lexan, or even glass. 2ftx2ft is a very common size for plastic sheets to be sold in. Make cutouts in the top where you need to have space for filter inflow and outflow, as well as any other equipment you may have in the tank, and you're done. A hood or cover is not really necessary, it just depends on the type of fish you'd like to keep. Personally, I prefer having an open top, but that is just my opinion of couse.

On lighting: You may want to go with 2 different 24" fixtures. Since your tank is quite wide from front to back, having the lights staggered on top of the aquarium with a gap of several inches in between each fixture would help assure that light gets distribuited through the entire tank. I'm a noobie myself though, so I could be wrong on this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok I currently have one 24" t5 fixture two bulbs plan on getting another one. I would love to find a wood top for this tank so I can mount the fixtures in the top. Also if I cant find a wood top wouldn't the acrylic have issues with the heat from the light fixtures laying on top of it?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
I would use at least 3/8" plex and keep the light a few inches above the plex.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonesrjc View Post
Ok I currently have one 24" t5 fixture two bulbs plan on getting another one. I would love to find a wood top for this tank so I can mount the fixtures in the top. Also if I cant find a wood top wouldn't the acrylic have issues with the heat from the light fixtures laying on top of it?
I would not think this would be the case. Many lighting fixtures used in aquariums have acrylic splashguards to keep any water from entering the light fixture itself. I've used PMMA (acrylic) for making encasements for motors on my high school robotics team, and those motors were significantly hotter than the heat output from typical aquarium lights. It does not melt until 160 C (320 F), so I would not have any worry about problems with structural integrity or warping.

Like Airphotog said, if the light is a couple of inches away from the cover, I see no reason at all to worry.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Any ideas on light systems that would mount on the tank so I can go with out the glass top interior rim to rim is 22" exterior rim is 23 3/4". I don't think I want to metal Halide probably stick with a t5 system but open to suggestions.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have heard good things about the Coralife you posted. I don't know much about any of the others.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode