Can I grow a plant in a bottle of seltzer water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can I grow a plant in a bottle of seltzer water?

I am thinking of putting a cutting of a plant in a bottle of seltzer water and closing it off, putting under some high output lighting and seeing what may happen any thoughts or comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cruel one!!! lol
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
You're from my town...
Anyways, I only have one question, and it's what exactly were you on when you thought of that? Maybe just a lot of twizzlers and Pepsi max?
It'll die, to answer your question...I mean, after a while. Plants need more than just light and water to live.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Algae Grower

Same idea as putting a cutting in a cup of water. I have had a terrestrial vine growing for a year.
If the bottle is closed, no place to get other nutrients, free nitrogen form the air, microbes from the air as fertilizers. I doubt the PH would be compatible.
But who knows, thats how some things are discovered or just get done, you get tired of people telling you why it won't work.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
it will live...just about without all nutrients, unless it is cooked to death in the greenshouse.

Patience is the name of the game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
it wont hurt to try... i would just add some ferts to the bottle and keep every one posted. i'm kind of interested to see if the super saturated co2 water will have an effect on the plant.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Once you open the bottle of seltzer water the CO2 would begin dissipating. In about 3 days it would no longer be seltzer water, but just regular water.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
I'd imagine The pH would be way too acidic, ignoring all other factors.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
^ this

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

okay so what would happen if I was to supply substrate nutrients, and water column nutrients then pour the seltzer water into a sealable glass container and hopefully get some accelerated growth. I am going to be giving this a try either way to see if will help get a plant growing fast or not. I would like any imput to have all the facts before i give it a try. maybe if this does not work just dosing high nutrients and light with high co2 to get the fastest production. If anyone knows a fast way to grow plants give me a type. I want to grow plants fast to be able to harvest them for replant in some of my breeders.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
When the lights go out the plants need oxygen... too...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by familyman03 View Post
okay so what would happen if I was to supply substrate nutrients, and water column nutrients then pour the seltzer water into a sealable glass container and hopefully get some accelerated growth. I am going to be giving this a try either way to see if will help get a plant growing fast or not. I would like any imput to have all the facts before i give it a try. maybe if this does not work just dosing high nutrients and light with high co2 to get the fastest production. If anyone knows a fast way to grow plants give me a type. I want to grow plants fast to be able to harvest them for replant in some of my breeders.
google estimative index. Use the methods described in that to make your plants grow "fast". Alternatively, the fastest growth method out there for most aquatic plants is to grow them emersed. Google that too.

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
The main problem with carbonated water is the sodium.
Plants don't like too much sodium (also too many minerals--this depends on the species of plant, obviously).

that being said, plants need N,K,P and micros to grow. The level of CO2 and light are also important.

FWIW, emersed growth isn't necessarily the fast way to grow aquatic plants. My HC grows faster immersed than emersed. Emersed growth is easier to maintain (fewer algae problems, etc).

CO2 is also an issue. emersed growth does not need ferts or CO2. All you need is a nutrient rich substrate.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
If you want to grow plants fast, remove all livestock. Crank up the co2. A strong light and some ferts will grow some plants real quick.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
I think it's a dumb idea. But do whatever floats your boat (and dying plant in seltzer water).

If you want to grow plants fast, just give them good light, nutrients, and co2 in normal water.

Tags
bottle, co2, cutting, plant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode