Trying something new, but not without help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Trying something new, but not without help

Greetings from a long-time reader and admirer, recent poster and user. I have on my hands a 10 gallon tank that I would like to transform into a jewel of an aquarium. Yes, high hopes abound.

I would like to carpet the substrate in a plant of some kind - the names chain sword, dwarf hairgrass, glossostigma, hemianthus cuba, brazilian micro sword, crystalwort, willow moss and java moss seem bandied around the most. Which, if any, make good "starter" plants? Which will I have the most success with?

In terms of light fixtures, the 20in, 36W compact lighthouse hood sold by catalina aquariums was recommended to me. What are some comparable light fixtures?

I also am a tad overwhelmed by the choices in substrate - ecocomplete, flourite, sand, aquasoil, etc. Any advice in this arena?

I anticipate fertalizing the tank as needed and, though I would rather not have to, am not entirely adverse to setting up a dIY co2 system.

So I suppose I'm mainly caught up in the lighting/substrate conundrum...where to begin?

Last edited by aude; 08-19-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:04 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You fist have to decide if you want to have this a high tech tank: more light, more CO2, more nutrients, faster growing plants, more maintenance, also more risk of algae.
A low tech is low light, no to low CO2, less nutrients, slow growing, less maintenance, and less risk of algae.

As far as substrate, go for the best & best looking, since a 10G won't get too expensive. I'd go for the dark flourite or even aquasoil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
For a 10G, going med tech with yeast CO2 might be a good way to start. Most of the plants you mentioned will thrive although you don't need to worry about substrate for the last 3 (crystalwort and mosses).

My fav is aquasoil.

Patience is the name of the game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well the yeast co2 rig looks fairly easy to setup...I guess my only reservations stem from (perhaps unwarranted) safety concerns. The tank will be in a house full of kids and animals, and I whole idea of a pressurized rig like that...like I said, I get that it's not a hydrogen bomb, and that there are certain precautions to take. Should I take the plunge?

I'm fine with maintenance - I already put a fair bit into my eclipse 12 tank.

Any advice on the lighting fixtures or the plants themselves?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Since I am on a bit of a budget, where should the prioritizing - in terms of quality equipment - be?

1. flourite vs eco complete vs aqua soil
or
2. lighting fixture (is there any way to rig one of these up myself? The catalina aquariums fixture (36w) will cost $60, a bit more than I'd like to spend) If I just used something like a 15 w t8, would I still be able to grow the carpet plants I noted in my first post?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 02:29 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

If you stick with the 15 watt T8 strip, that's fine for a low tech setup, and CO2 will be optional at that light level. With just 15 watts of T8 over your tank, I'd recommend sticking with chain sword, Marselia minuta, or Lilaeopsis mauritiana as carpeting plants.

Another cheaper option for a "medium light" tank would be to use a regular incandescent fixture and replace the incandescent bulbs with screw-in compact flourescent bulbs. If you go with bulbs in the 15-20 watt range this will put you right where you'd want to be to use DIY CO2. With this level of light and your CO2 and ferts worked out, you should be able to get any of those other plants in your list to carpet.

If you're on a budget, I'd go with Flourite or Eco Complete for your substrate.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Some decision-making progress, I hope

Okay, I have come up with this equipment list:

Tank
36 W lighthouse - 59.99 - Catalina Aquarium
Glass top - 10.79 -Foster and Smith Aquatics/Petco

Substrate (I still have yet to decide between these three...)
Aquasoil, 9L - $28 - ADG Shop
Eco-Complete - 20lbs - 23.99 Foster and Smith Aquatics/Petco
Seachem Flourite - 18.99 - Foster and Smith Aquatics

Other Equipment
CO2 Diffuser - $10 - Ebay, Aquabid
CO2 Drop Checker - $9-$10 - Ebay, Aquabid
Thermometer - $2-$3 - Petco/F & S Aquatics
Marineland Stealth Pro Heater - $20 - F&S Aquatics
Model 10 Whisper Air Pump - $7 - F&S Aquatics
Whisper Power Filter 20 - $19 - F&S Aquatics
DIY C02

I still haven't made decisions regarding plants - probably whichever will a) thrive under these conditions and b) are available and affordable.

Any suggestions or concerns?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
I prefer Marimo(moss, algae) balls as a carpet. I looks good and helps keep algae at bay!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How would you go about growing any kind of moss as a carpet? I've only ever seen it sold in golf ball sized lumps.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Theres different eays of going about it. Some take mesh and sandwhich the moss in between and tie it shut with fishing line. I personally like to put a little gravel over it to keep it down and let it attach that way. The search function will be helpful with this. Just run a search for moss carpets and you will find many techniques that you can look at.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I took a look around and, while I do want some mosses in my tank (flame and christmas mosses have the top appeal), I think I like the look of dwarf hairgrass, glosso, and hemianthus cuba the best. Any opinion which of these plants would carpet best in the tank setup I have proposed?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 08:15 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Have you decided on what you are doing for CO2? If you are going with a pressurized setup, you can probably choose from any of those 3 plants.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was thinking of just setting up DIY CO2...my impression was that professional, pressurized setups were a bit pricey. I was hoping I could just get away with fertilizer + a DIY system...
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 10:45 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Pressurized CO2 does not necessarily have to be expensive, if you are patient and source the best price on the different pieces of equipment required.

You can get away with DIY CO2, but HC does better in a high (and stable) CO2 environment.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 06:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Although lately I have not been liking HC as I just planted it for a new tank and it doesn't like to stay down at first, I have had great success with this plant in so many conditions. I have done it in high light/co2, medium light/no co2, lowish light/no co2. It really isn't a high light plant, IMO, and should do perfectly fine under the light you have. It may have to "adjust", and you may get some melting at first. But, it should work fine and will grow lower than any other carpet plant I know of. On a small tank, something like dwarf hairgrass may look really tall, even when cut down, but looks great in a larger tank. I think HC is perfect for a 10 gallon.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode