First Medium Tech Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Medium Tech Planted Tank

I was wondering if I could get some help with my tank. It is a 120 gallon that is 5 feet long. For lighting I have two 30" lights that run two 18w full spectrum bulbs and two atinics(for color of fish) and two 48"lights with 54w 6400k bulbls, all lights are T5s. I have a Fluval FX5 filter. Two 300w heaters. Substrate is Shultzs aqua soil and a layer of gravel on top. I have a CO2 system coming that has a milwakie regulator with nedle valve and silanoid and a glass difuser. I am hoping to have a carpet of dwarf hair grass and some other plants, maybe some crypts. Just wondering if I could get any sugestions on the setup. Is that equipment good or is there some thing that I should change. I am kinda new to the planted tank thing, I have had a few tanks with java fern and java moss, but Like the look of the planted tanks. Any help? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It sounds like you have a pretty good set up planned out. It's too bad there isn't a 5' t5ho light. You should be able to get all those lights arranged in such a way to provide good coverage though.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yes I have the two 30" lights beside each other, so that makes it 60". And then the two 4 foot lights are staggered so that there is a 3 foot overlap.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Your setup sounds pretty good to me.

Do you have your plants picked out?

Are there fish already in the tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Can you expand on how many watts of light in total you are using.

As for actinic lighting, opinions range from somewhat useful to detrimental as far as use in freshwater planted aquaria. Theoretically, depending on the bulb, actinics produce light in the 420nm spectrum, which is a spectrum that plants can use in photosynthesis, but these bulbs have a low PAR value and empirical evidence suggests that they can contribute to excessive algae growth. Unless you really like the look, I would suggest using other bulbs.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

It sounds to me like the 2x54 watt 6400k T5HOs should be sufficient for plant growth, and the other T5s (T5NOs?) are there just for viewing/aesthetics.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Planted Member

2x54 watts over 120 gallons is relatively low light (nothing wrong with that), but I just want to make sure I understand the lighting scheme. If that is the case, then plant selection will be more limited. The OP mentioned crypts, and they do make good low light plants. Additionally, with lower light, Co2 becomes less useful as you don't have the light to really "drive" the plants and the carbon requirements are modest, as are the fertilizer requirements.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So that would be 190watts total If I were to have it all with 6500k. I would like to keep dwarf hairgrass in there. No there are no fish in there yet. The filter is cycled and I am waiting for the substrate to settle and then I will clean the filter and add a few fish in there. The 4' lights are HO lights. As for the other two I dont quite know. I can get rid of the atinic lights. I am planning on putting some wild long nose angels some cradinal tetras in there. Along with the clean team, ottos, bushy nose plecs and maybe some trumpet snails. So are they any sugestions on plants? For now I have a Crypt, bacopa and anubia, and planning on getting dwarf hairgrass. Thanks.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:32 AM
Planted Member

Anubias and crypts both do well with low light or better. While I don't personally keep the others, I understand bacopa has relatively low light requirements, and dwarf hairgrass has average lighting requirements. With 1.6 watts per gallon I would expect good results for all your listed species, although more light would likely be better for the hairgrass.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well change of setup. I bought a 80 gallon tank that is 4 feet long 16 inches wide and 2 feet high. I bought a 4 foot T5HO light in that I am running 2 6400k and a 12000k bulbs. Other than that everything is the same. Here are some pictures. I am dealing with some hair algae problems. Bought some mollies to try to get rid of some of it. Well with out further ado here are some pics.

Let me know what you guys think. Thanks
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I am a newbie at planted tanks so keep that in mind. That is a lot of light!! I would'nt be suprised if have algae problems unless you use large amounts of co2 and dosing. You will need much more plants to help combat the algae.

Also I am not a fan of the lava rock caves.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Do you have your CO2 setup yet? That's too much light without it.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I have CO2 all setup and pumping it out. Not dosing yet till the plants take off a bit more. So is that alot of lighting? I can cut the one 12000k bulb out.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Why are you waiting to add the CO2 if you want your plants to grow? That doesn't make sense... that's like waiting for your fish to grow before you'll start feeding them LOL

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Why are you waiting to add the CO2 if you want your plants to grow? That doesn't make sense... that's like waiting for your fish to grow before you'll start feeding them LOL

Well I think that CO2 helps the plants grow, Does it not? Maybe a little confused on that one.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode