green water, need some help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
green water, need some help

Ok so i have a 135g, and i just received my 4' t5 2 bulb fixture, well its been running about 2 hours, and i can already see a difference in the water, its turning green. What is my best option on getting rid of it? Uv sterilizer? The light sits about 3" above the tank, and i really can't go much higher. Any help would be great thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Water change to remove nutrients, Co2/Flourish/metricide, Dark tank for a few days.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
UV sterilizer would be the quickest, easiest way.

Cheapest way to go is a 3 day blackout (it might come back) or just do nothing and wait it out (tends to take 6-8 weeks but IME never comes back).

I always do the very unpopular waiting it out. Has never failed me yet, just takes patience.

IME GW is pretty common with new tank setups, or if you do a major rescape without doing a big water change after you're done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i don't exactly want to do a blackout because i am trying to get the plants back healthy. I've tried the 3 day black out before on a different tank and no difference. I just did a water change 2 days ago of about 40% (i do this every week), and the tank have been running about a month and has fish in it. i do excel every other day. Its not a heavily planted tank, so i don't exactly want to do a co2.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
If you're opting for the "wait it out" method you need to reduce if not eliminate the water changes. This helps the algae run out of nutrients a little more quickly.

Once you notice the algae has started to clear a little bit, then you do a big water change, and a day or so after that the tank should be crystal clear again.

This method has worked for me on all my tanks- from my 90gal to my little 10gal (which I just got cleared up last week, ironically enough...)

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ya i guess uv sterilizer is my best option. I can't really wait 6-8 weeks to do a water change since i have a lot of fish in it.
would it be better to have the uv sterilizer going in the tank, or in the sump?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I bought a 9W in tank one for 39$ at a local pet retail storem. Hooked it up, with a frysaver on my filter inlet, and let it run for a week. It was funny to watch, the outlet of the sterlizer wad a white cloud of nuked algae.
Cleaned the prefilter daily of the "algae dust" and I was set, no more outbreaks. I have not had to use it again, but it came about when I changed my substrate from clown puke to Turface.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
This happened to my new 50 gallon awhile after I set it up. I left the lights on for shorter periods but besides that I did water changes every other week like usual. It gradually faded away and hasn't come back since. I wouldn't do anything drastic green water isn't a big deal. Infact a lot of people raise fry in green water.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's funny and pretty cool, is that the green killing machine.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I put on a new light in and green water bloomed within the day! I found some window screen and put it over the tank for a week and the plants out competed the GW and adjusted to the new lighting by the time I did the next water change.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well the water didn't get any green yesterday, but i was able to hang my light about 6" above the tank.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
... or just do nothing and wait it out (tends to take 6-8 weeks but IME never comes back).

I always do the very unpopular waiting it out. Has never failed me yet, just takes patience.
Thought I was the only one that ever did this. Most methods are like cold medication. If you get a cold, get lots of rest, lots of fluids and take cold medication you'll be better in 3 or 4 days. If you get a cold, get lots of rest, lots of fluids and no medication you'll be better in about half a week.

Dave

Wishing I had a pithy quote

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode