Canister filter questios - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Canister filter questios

I'm looking into a canister filter for my 75 planted tank. The tank is not heavily planted yet do to poor selection of good healthy plants in my area.
Last week I was able to pick up 3 bunches of baby tears in pristine condition fresh out of the bins they arrived in. I have about 15 small fish in the tank. All about an inch or less except for a large Angel. I basically have no filtration on the tank except for two sock filters in the sump, (changed daily). 2 105 Watt
Compacts 6500K suspended 10 inches over the water. I am also now injecting CO2 into the tank via a homemade reactor.
My questions are..
What is the recommended filter for this set up?
What filter material do you run?
How often do you change it out.
I'm not looking to go cheep. Money is not an issue. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Maybe the question should be, what are you trying to do with you filtration system?

If you have a sump now, with filter socks, you already have the mechanical filtration taken care of. Are you looking to add biological and chemical filtration to that, or do you want to replace the sump?

There are a number of valid way you could go, depending upon what you want to end up with.

I will say that on my 90gal tank I use an Eheim PRO II, and I've been quite happy with it. I'm using the eheim media, except I put carbon in one of the baskets, There are 3 of them. The other 2 have mechanical media and biological media.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm concerned that I have little or no biological filtration with just the socks.
I'm new to the planted tank and am not as knowledgeable as I am with SW.
You wouldn't be the same Dave from RAG would you?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:50 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Hello to a fellow wisconsin planted tank member!

What else is in your sump? Pics would be helpful. I had a sump on my 75, but took if off in trade for 2 canister filters. Now I'm not off gassing as much co2.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 02:59 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I run a Rena XP3 and an XP4 on my own 90gal.

With a planted tank, mechanical filtration and flow are most important, as the plants themselves can handle most of the biological and chemical filtration.

I'd probably add some big sponges to your sump (depending on the design... something like the big Aquaclear sponges might help with both mechanical and biological filtration in there).

I'd probably add either an XP3 or a 2217 to run along with your sump. Another alternative to getting another filter would be a powerhead with a sponge prefilter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would recommend the following...
2 Eheim 2217's
or
2 Rena XP3's
or
2 Cascade 1000's
In a planted tank, as Laura mentioned earlier, you want to error on high flow side. These Cascade's are the cheapest of the bunch and offer a self-priming mechanism which are really my only complaints on the XP3's and the 2217's.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 03:47 AM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I hate to down play the cascade canisters but if you are going to buy something new get the eheims. You will have a hard time finding parts for the cascade filters. Many independent pet stores do not carry much penn plax anymore.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do have an Eihem 2229 wet/dry filter. Would this be detrimental to a CO2 injected tank. I don't have it hooked up considering I have a sump and it is hard enough to get the CO2 level up. I don't know how hard this filter would be on my CO2 level.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

I think the 2229 will allow too much CO2 to escape too, I would opt for two 2217s.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas111 View Post
I'm concerned that I have little or no biological filtration with just the socks.
I'm new to the planted tank and am not as knowledgeable as I am with SW.
You wouldn't be the same Dave from RAG would you?
Yes, unlike some of the others, I do prefer some additional biological filtration in the canister, provided you have space in it for the media.

As for a sump or Eheim wet/dry, yes both of these will give a lot more gas exchange and remove CO2 much more than a normal canister. IMO, if your using a DIY CO2 system, or a yeast based CO2 generator, this could be a problem. If you have a high pressure CO2 tank and regulator and so on, it's more a question of turning up the CO2 supply.

Yes, I'd agree that two Eheim 2217's would be better, as far as not loosing CO2. However, these are Eheim classic filters, which means there are no media baskets and such built in. Of course, you could use media bags for carbon and such, but it's still a lot more work to clean.

Your also going to need to buy those, and at a price of about $160 each. $320 buys a lot of CO2.

I'd say go with what you have, and see how you make out. You can always spend more money on the filtration system later, if you have to.

Yes, I'm the same DaveK on RAG. I got involved here because I want to take my planted tank from ok, to something really great. I've learned quite a few things, and am slowly redoing it.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Does the Ehiem Pro II have media baskets? What do you prefer to put into them. I see there are several choices of media and carbon and polishing type pads.

Good to here from you Dave. It's been a while. I'm Thomas from Rag. The SW softy coral tank is running along smooth and the corrals are still growing like mad.

Does anyone cover their sump with glass or plexi glass to reduce off gassing?
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 03:24 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

covering the sump with glass wont do anything to fix the problem, there is so much space between the water line and the glass on a sump you are wasting time

as far as the pro filters, they do come with media baskets and they are awesome filters, I personally do not buy the eheim pads for them as they can be quite pricey and opt for the HBH brand pads, mucg cheaper and very good quality.
hope this helps.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
I know there are alot of people on here that run the Ehiem canister filters, but I will give a thumbs up for the Fluval filters. I have a 404 and 304 on my 90 and I clean and change them about every 3-4 weeks. In the canister I have the fluval sponges, ceramic pre-filter material, then pot scubbers cut to fit basket, then purigen and finally the last basket is bio-balls. The 304 I have the pot scubbers and purigen in the same basket.

In my opinion, I would get rid of the sump and go strictly with the canister filters. I think you are just wasting your CO2 with running a sump. With your 75 gal tank, I would go with (2) 405 filters. Also, I wouldn't run carbon in your filter with a planted tank.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:38 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

oh man, is this the beginning of yet another fluval vs eheim battle?!?!?!?!?!?

"There can only be One"

anyone else love highlander?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
Don't get me wrong......I am not saying that you shouldn't use an Eheim. I have no experience with them so can't say anything good or bad about them. I have just used Fluvals and I feel they do a good job.

F22....your a Ford man aren't you, and you own John Deere equipment

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode