10 Gallon Low-tech Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 Gallon Low-tech Questions

10 gallon

3x 10w ikea halogen lights? [orig. shelving lights. not sure what they are for the most part]
1x 15w 5500k

DIY co2 one 2 liter bottle changed every 2 weeks

Dosing Nutrafin PlantGro every other day [N .15%,B .0005%,Cu .0005%,Fe .26%, Mn .05%, Mo .0007%, Zn .003%]

Fauna - Crypts, Micro sword, Brazilian micro sword, Java moss, Baby tears, Hygrophila, D. Sag, Bacopa, tiger lilly

so my questions are....

1. Im having a green spot algae problem lately on glass and older leaves, should i up my co2 to 2 bottles to try and fix this algae? also having some sort of beard algae on my microsword

2. I see streams of bubbles coming from different plant leaves almost every time i look in the tank. not pearling, but more like the leaf sprung a leak... what does this mean?

3. How is my dosing? i know its not the best stuff to use but its all ive got at the moment...

4. how should i go about trimming my micro swords? im going for the grassy lawn sort of look for the brazilian sword and a bushy taller look with the micro sword

5. the Hygro lately has been browning/redding around the edges of new leaves and they are also a little wavey/wrinkled.. whats up with this??

any questions or comments about my setup will be appreciated! thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I suspect you have too much light for "low tech", and too much for not dosing NPK fertilizers - those are generally potassium nitrate and mono potassium phosphate, but can be Flourish Nitrogen, F. Potassium, and F. Phosphorous. Algae grow best with good lighting, so having algae always suggests that you may have more light than you are maintaining the tank for. See the sticky at the top of the fertilizing forum.

Hoppy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
If you want to stick with a low tech tank I'd use just the 15 watt T8. That's what I run over all my own low tech 10gals.

I agree right now you probably have too much light and not enough supporting nutrients.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ill cut out the t8... i plan on getting dry nutrients and dosing EI on my next pay check..
whats up with the stream of bubbles though?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
That is usually called streaming and is a broken spot on the leaf just like you thought. I don't think it is always me mistreating the leaves either, new spots will start in through out the week even if I have not played around with the plants. I will usually see it when CO2 is a bit too low to see true pearling and you are getting close to pearling.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Could someone please answer any of my other questions please?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 12:50 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Lower your lighting and/or get better CO2 distribution, dose some Excel to kill the algae, get a balanced, comprehensive fert regimen worked out (there's no such thing as an "all in one" fert here in the US), and trim your microsword with sharp scissors.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info laura
Ill increase my co2 with another 2liter for now and maybe get some excel when i get the money
can anyone suggest a good place for dry ferts?

I plan on building this co2 unit to help for now
http://www.aquaria.net/articles/DIY/co2/3cham/

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)
I like http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/ for dry ferts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode