How do u hang light fixtures? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do u hang light fixtures?

I have a 36" catalina t5HO fixture and 4' tek light t5HO fixture, both with their respective hanging brackets on the way and i was wondering what the fixtures actually hang from? do i hang them from the ceiling or some sort of rig that i need to build, and how much does this sort of thing cost? Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 03:30 AM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
Either way...your choice. Hanging from a light bar like a lot of us do is less invasive than hanging from the cieling. The light bars cost about $3 to make out of a piece of electrical conduit from home depot, or you can buy one made by ADA for almost $300. Hanging directly from the cieling looks nicer but is more involved and probably has some sort of limitations, like only being able to safely hang a decent amount of weight from a support beam (just guessing.)

My solar I is just looped over the bar with loops made by those little... cable hanger fastener thingies (anyone know what those are called?)

I don't know anything about the Tek or Catalina fixtures or how their brackets are designed. Sorry I can't offer any more specific info.

Clint
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow $3? that sounds awesome thanks, ill definitely use that method, hopefully itll be strong enough to hold the 4' fixture, maybe i could use two or something? thanks for the great info

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 03:48 AM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
Yeah, its ten feet of electrical conduit for about $3. Bend it with the conduit bender right there in the store so you don't have to buy the bender.

You can use two if you want. Just make two 90 degree bends and have them pointing towards you instead of running the length of the tank.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I just hung my fixture from the ceiling yesterday and I love it. I spent about $14 bucks doing it but it looks so much better. There are a lot of ceiling hooks at Lowes and Home Depot. Most hooks were rated at 100 lbs weight load if you can hit a stud or some piece of wood in the ceiling, and if you're going straight into sheet rock most were rated about 35 lbs. I was going to go the conduit route...but this tank isn't being moved anytime soon, so I might as well make it part of the house!

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

A 4' light would be best with 2 supports.
justlikeapill, how is the conduit attached or supported? Omega clamps on the stand? Tee and legs on the floor? Other? Any way to get a picture of this?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

A 4' light would be best with 2 supports.
justlikeapill, how is the conduit attached or supported? Omega clamps on the stand? Tee and legs on the floor? Other? Any way to get a picture of this?

'cable clamp thingies' might be Zip ties, or could be sort of a cross between a chain (plastic) and a zip tie. Have a look in the electrical section, but also look elsewhere. Most hardware stores will sell several sorts of chain and cable by the foot. Ask how to cut these, and how to connect them to make loops.

Make the EMT (Electrical conduit) sort of taller than you would initially think so there is more room to raise and lower the light.
Chain with an S hook is pretty good. You can adjust the height of the fixture when you need to get to the tank for cleaning or planting, and you can raise or lower the light for optimum plant growth. You do not need massive chains for this. Not little jewelry stuff, but fairly fine hardware chain is plenty strong enough for a light fixture.

The electrical cord for the light might be run through the EMT, (may look better) but it is not a thing for anyone who does not understand electricity. It involves cutting the cord and reconnecting it.
Easiest way to handle the cord is to zip tie it to the EMT.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 04:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to J.farrand
Great Advice! I'm not there yet but threads like will get mt there. Alot faster than learning on your own. That's for sure!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 05:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/diy/index.php

How-to guide for the conduit.

C. Smith
1. Watt [ wot ]: noun -- the SI unit of power, equivalent to one joule per second and equal to the power in a circuit in which a current of one ampere flows across a potential difference of one volt.
2. Per [ pur; unstressed per ]: preposition -- for each; for every.
3. Gallon [ gal-uhn ]: noun -- a common unit of capacity in English-speaking countries, equal to four quarts.
What does this have to do with growing plants?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
+1 for hanging from the ceiling....

in my opinion the conduit method doesn't look so hot...

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20079342

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode