Aquariums and Cats... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Aquariums and Cats...

Seeing as how we are finally taking the steps forwards to getting an apartment sooner rather than later, I'm now faced with a dilemma: what to do about my open top tank and my cats.

As of right now, neither one of my cats can live inside with me (Dad's house, Dad's rules), so I've never had either of them around the tanks for very long. My 29g is the only open top, and it's also my "baby", so I'd like to keep the cats out of it. I also want this tank to be my decor piece (as it's the tank I've put the most effort in), placed proudly in the living area of the apartment, so keeping the cats locked away from it is a no-go.

I can't remember them ever being a problem with the hooded tanks, and I'm probably worrying too much. However, I've put at least a grand into my 29g. I don't want to wake up to a traumatized wet cat and lights in the water. Thinking about it, just putting the tank away from anything else they can jump on to get to the tank might help, but I've seen cats jump heights I'd think they shouldn't be able to.

I'd like to hear what other people have done with cats and their tanks. Some ideas could really help me out...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:05 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
this won't help, and i think it may be an urban legend, but here goes...

I heard stories about a guy who had a very large red tail catfish and a house cat. The tank was open topped and the cat used to sit atop the HOB filter and put its paws in the water. One day the cat was atop the filter and got a little too frisky with the fish, and POW! he was fish food!

Now like i said, i dunno if its true or false, but it could happen.

as far as keeping the cat that likes to jump I know a sheet of tinfoil will keep dogs off the bed, i would give it a shot for a cat too...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
our cat doesnt bother with my aquariums. he could care less about the fish or the shrimp or whatever and he hates water so never "goes in" the tank

He does however like to drink aquarium water and my tanks are open tops so that gets annoying to top off more than I would normally.

He also loves any variety of fish food, algae wafers, shrimp food, etc. LOVES it all.

I would recommend that you just try it out. If the cat messes with the aquariums, put a top on it or figure something else out, but dont waste your time and/or money preventing something from happening without knowing if it would actually happen.

if there is no problem why try to solve it?

cheers

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I was going to same something similar- I wouldn't worry. Most cats hate water more than they like fish!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
The biggest inconvenience IMO is cat hair in the tank. I had a 10g open top on my dresser in front of a window (that same window was my cats favorite perch). She loved to drink out of it, in fact while it was there i dont think i ever had to fill her water bowl.

Had it there for a few months, no issues.

In the beginning: DUKES 55g

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DUKES Fluval Edge

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Banned

PTrader: (105/94%)
I have 2 cats, and we lived in a house before moving into our apartment. Both were outdoor cats, and now must remain inside.

Both my tanks are rimless. One is sitting on a wide desk at the moment and can be messed with easily by them. But neither of my cats bother them.

Only time I can see them bothering them, is if they had no water, but both drink out of the toilet. lol

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
lol, Yeah, I figured I was worrying too much about it. I'll see what they do about it. My older cat is the laziest thing I've ever seen, so I doubt she'll be much of a problem. The kitten on the other hand... well, he's about four months old and full of piss and vinegar. He's the one I'm concerned about.

F22, we had a Maine Coon cat when I was a kid that would sit perched on the HOB filter of a 75g that had RB piranhas in it. Well, one time our LFS ran out of feeder guppies come feeding day, so they were pretty hungry when kitty decided it was a good idea to paw the water from a hole by the filter. Yeah, kitty decided not to go by the fish tank again after that! I'm still amazed that filter could hold up a 22 pound cat...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Well, I had the opposite experience. I had a covered tank and my two cats both loved to sit on top, doing some fishing through the small spaces around the lid. One of them actually got a guppy once and from that point forward he was hooked!

It's REALLY easy to go to Home Depot and get a window screen kit that you can customize. Cheap, too. They sell screen material that has a large width between the holes, mostly for control of birds, bats, pets, etc. and you could easily make a screen that wouldn't block light or build heat but would keep cat paws out. That is, if you need to!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Banned

PTrader: (17/100%)
I have quite the cattery going on in my house, and the way we trained em to stay away from the tanks was with fear They never really did any harm(no knocking anything over, falling in, catching fish, etc..), but it was getting annoying fishing the cat hair out of the tank, and topping the things off everyday(at that point there were three tanks in the house). So, we took all of our cats biggest fear, and exploited it. Anytime the cats would jump up on the stand, etc, we'd turn on the dustbuster and they'd run for their lives. After about a week of conditioning, none of them even approached the tanks, for fear of the evil, noisy carpet monster.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Banned

PTrader: (17/100%)
The other way to keep them out, is to build a catarium for them
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
When I had cat's, they would never really bother with my open top tanks. They would stare at the fish since the tanks were next to the couch where they slept. They would use my light fixture to walk across though.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Green024
After having 2 litters of kittens, I have noticed that the more I try to keep them off the tanks, the more they want to get on top of them when I am not looking.
So just ignore them, or peacefully remove them from atop a surface you don't want them on. They will get bored of messing with the fish eventually. That may help in the long run, or it might not with your cats. Enjoy

Pimp #420
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I've got 2 cats, and one of them has a water fetish- he's always dipping his paws in it (we have to keep our toilet lids closed ). He's broken several glass canopies jumping up on top of my tanks from the floor.

I haven't seen him mess with the tanks in about a year now, though- not since I woke up one morning to find water dripping down the front of my 90gal (I'd been doing some tank maintenance and hadn't put the canopies back in place) and followed the water trail across the house to find a VERY wet cat trying to lick himself dry under our dining room table! LOL

If you do have issues with the cats jumping up on the tanks, some strategically-placed double-sided tape (where their paws would stick to it) can be a good discouragement.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by |GTO| View Post
our cat doesnt bother with my aquariums. he could care less about the fish or the shrimp or whatever and he hates water so never "goes in" the tank

He does however like to drink aquarium water and my tanks are open tops so that gets annoying to top off more than I would normally.

He also loves any variety of fish food, algae wafers, shrimp food, etc. LOVES it all.

I would recommend that you just try it out. If the cat messes with the aquariums, put a top on it or figure something else out, but dont waste your time and/or money preventing something from happening without knowing if it would actually happen.

if there is no problem why try to solve it?

cheers
This is my cat too. Leaves the fish alone and prays on birds, rabbits, and mice. But don't leave the fish food laying around open cause he will eat that too.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have had many bad experiences with my 2 cats and my 2 tanks.

Got a 125 african cichlid and a 75 planted tank.

My little female cat could care less about either....but my 18 pound male different story.

He gets on both...when I'm not around. He knows he's now suppose to be on there.

Like one poster said his cat would walk across the light fixture. One year he did that and the pressure snapped the support leg and splash in goes my light fixture...destroyed.

Months later I decided to place the light fixture right on the glass lids. Well came home one day to find the glass lid broken and light fixture dangerously close to going in the tank as well. First I thought it might have been the heat but then I saw fur all over everything.

Besides those disasters I find fur everywhere in and on the tank. And im constantly cleaning dirty little paw prints off the glass. I have moved everything away from the tank but yet somehow this 18 pound cat is getting up there. I have tried everything to no avail. And what is funny I have never ever seen him get on the tank. Cats know!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode