Artificial Plants - The Planted Tank Forum
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

PTrader: (2/100%)
Artificial Plants

Hey All,

I just wanted to get some feedback on the look of these plants and the safety factor, in terms of toxins and preparations.

My favorite fish are Severums, I've currently got a tank full of 12 - 1" Severums - Heros, from True Super Reds, Uaru, Green, Red Shouldered, Golden, Red Spotted Orange and... as most of you know, live plants and Severums are not a good mix. So, I've gathered a bunch of artificial plants that I like, and I'm going to use them in my tank along with some Caribsea Golden sand.

I'm curious to know which plants look good to you all, in terms of realistic looking and what sort of feedback you'll might have. I have already tried plants and my severums always eat them, and spit them out.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE65300F-728F-4F2C-BCEF-9D055C8DF59A.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	731442  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 06:31 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
they all look fake just sayin' lol
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
they all look fake just sayin' lol
LOL.. haaaaaaa haaaaaaa Thanks BettaBettas figured you'd poke fun at me. Not that I don't appreciate it. Ya, they really do look fake I know, nothing like the real thing some times. But what can I say. Severums and plants don't go together. I swear they just chew on the plants to mess with me as they spit them out. It's annoying but I can't boss them around and I want some decor in the tank. I guess I could put in wood, that may be an option, but like most fish, they need a place to hide and wood doesn't really accomplish this as effectively as plants. Figures my favorite fish would be plant eaters. Heck,they'll even chew up Java Fern. What fish do that?

I know using these fake plants is nearly sacrilegious in this forum but I think I've explained my situation and where I'm coming from, so please understand people, it's for my fish and primarily serving a function. Where's the love?
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
You may just have to stick with rocks and driftwood. I would rather do that than go with artificial plants. just my opinion.

Love your tanks and they will love you back
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Get out.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigityDog70 View Post
LOL.. haaaaaaa haaaaaaa Thanks BettaBettas figured you'd poke fun at me. Not that I don't appreciate it. Ya, they really do look fake I know, nothing like the real thing some times. But what can I say. Severums and plants don't go together. I swear they just chew on the plants to mess with me as they spit them out. It's annoying but I can't boss them around and I want some decor in the tank. I guess I could put in wood, that may be an option, but like most fish, they need a place to hide and wood doesn't really accomplish this as effectively as plants. Figures my favorite fish would be plant eaters. Heck,they'll even chew up Java Fern. What fish do that?

I know using these fake plants is nearly sacrilegious in this forum but I think I've explained my situation and where I'm coming from, so please understand people, it's for my fish and primarily serving a function. Where's the love?
Fake plants are fine lol, glad you got my joke ;D lol! Will severums (ive never kept them) eat every single living aquatic plant? what about floating plants like duckweed (can duckweed outgrow how much they eat?) or maybe some amazon frogbit? what about Brazilian pennywort? But yea as fake plants those submerged will look realistic. Kind of how the King of diy in his old goldfish tank (the huge 230G I think? dk the size) had a lot of hardscape like river rocks and some fake blyx japonica (so It looked like) in between them. looked pretty good imo, will you have any hardscape now that I think of it?
Also I have to agree sort of with @SwissCheeseHead on having just a huge really nice hardscape in the tank, that would look awesome if you could pull it off ya think? if it was big enough im sure it would provide enough hiding spots hmmmmmmm.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

I've got a lot of wood and rocks for a hardscape, so I am going to work with my wife and see if we can't get a nice rock and plant combination scaped.

Thanks all.

Possibly one of the best posts of all time by Bananableps. That was too funny!

post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Algae Grower

Location: Virginia, USA. Blue Ridge Mountains and Appalachian Trail.
Actually you have an opportunity to do what live plant keepers can't do very much.... Bubbles! Since bubbles drive out the CO2 we can't have a lot of bubbles with live plants, at least not hi-tech setups. I would recommend what everyone else says about using wood and lots of rocks - maybe a "Rocky Mountain" kind of theme with dramatic rock faces, incorporating caves and such, and then put in lots of bubbles! Of course some fake plants are hard to tell from the real ones to the casual observer, and when they are used sparingly with the rocks and such, they can be very convincing. Besides, with enough light you'll soon have a green tank anyway
DigityDog70 and DigityDog70 like this.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
well,no trimming I guess...are you going to go dirt?
mooner, johnson18 and johnson18 like this.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What in the world are you doing on a planted tank forum when all you want is plastic plants?
mooner likes this.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

You must admit that posting about plastic plants on a planted tank forum is kind of looking for a stomping.

I will say that many plastic plants you can get today look better than the ones available many years ago.

Since your doing a tank of severums, which love to dig, you may not have too may options. I'd say go ahead and use them in special cases like this. You could consider using some tough live plants, and see how they do.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigityDog70 View Post
My favorite fish are Severums, I've currently got a tank full of 12 - 1" Severums - Heros, f as most of you know, live plants and Severums are not a good mix.
If you go the the cichlid forum you can see some have anubias plants in their tanks. Why don't go to the cichlid forum and ask there what other do for plants?
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

Thank you Hilde, that's great suggestion and I appreciate you taking the time to mention this.

Severums, (Heros) are true omnivores after having kept them for about 4 years now, I would say they have a pretty equal affinity for plants and meat, but... like many African Cichlids e.g. N. Brichardi, Zebras Pseudotropheus sp., always dig. This particular species of South American Cichlids, Severums always like to chew up plants and spit them out. Not just some, but everyone I've owned to date, I currently have 12. So, I know and have decided that if I use plants they will be artificial due to my previous frustrations and attempts to bounce ideas off of Cichlid people and my LFS. African cichlids are actually much easier to have live plant with and I have done this before. I feel like I might have more luck with live plants in my Oscar tank, LOL.

I'd probably see if I could persuade PlantedRich to chime in as he has Cichlids (Africans albeit) and plants in at least one of his tanks.

As mentioned though, I do really appreciate what would otherwise seem to be the obvious place to post.

Cheers,
DD

Last edited by DigityDog70; 03-10-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: .
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree with the others... go crazy with hardscape/wood. I like live plants because they give my fish "terrain" and a "world" to live in, instead of a glass box. I watch my fish to see how they act in their home and I do everything I can to make it nice. I love aquariums (fish+plants+scape) and not "fish tanks". If I couldnt incorporate plants I'd go crazy with hardscape.

Keep us posted (with pics!) and good luck!!! :-)
DigityDog70 and DigityDog70 like this.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
What in the world are you doing on a planted tank forum when all you want is plastic plants?
Mainly an excuse to hang out with all you bums, what else? LOL I haven't met you before Hilde, so not sure if you're just joking or not, I assume you are. Cheers LOL

The artificial plants are an option, right now, there's only a bunch of PVC pipes and a little cave in the tank so my fish have hiding places.

I really want to hear what the guys and gals that I bounce ideas off in my favorite forum have to say. Afterall, this is a Planted Tank forum and those technically are plants, they just don't require, ferts, photosynthesis, a whole lotta (stole that from Led Zeppelin) trimming and they don't grow all that fast.

I think this type of tank with Artificial plants would be considered "ultra low tech" .

DD

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode