1st time setting up a Marineland tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
1st time setting up a Marineland tank

Hello all,
First time here and first time doing a planted tank. I have a 30gallon tank with an Eclipse 3??? hood.Couple questions on getting things started. I bought this tank used and not sure if the bulbs are any good or how old they are. What is a good replacement? I am also curious about the blue filter cartridge that comes with it. Seems like it has very little use for a planted tank? Do I even need charcoal? Is this the best material I can put into this slot? I currently have a couple of plants in my tank and they have slowly deteriated. They look like they are turning yellow and rotting. I just recently even tried upgrading the substrate to eco complete, and it bounced back for a week and then went south again. Sorry for the long winded thread here, but I figured I would get it all out there. Thanks for your time and look forward to hearing from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Well here is the instruction manual.
http://www.marineandreef.com/v/vspfi...pse_manual.pdf
Probably replace the bulbs. Any 5000K to 10000K bulb the right length and diameter will work fine. They are called daylight to super daylight and may be found at Home Depot, you may not need to go to the specialty stores.

Right, charcoal isn't needed but just leave the old stuff in the slot as it will catch some debris and has lots of pores for filter bacteria to colonize. Rinse lightly in tank water in a bucket at water changes is all.

Perhaps the plants aren't suited to your tank? Where did you get them and what sorts do you have? Your lights ought to support stuff like Anubias, Java fern, some Cryptocoryne species and some mosses.

Any time plants are rotting just remove the dead part. Many plants are grown in air and need to replace all those leaves when planted in an aquarium. And many non aquatic plants are sold as aquatics.

Look around here to find out more on setting up a planted tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode