lights out? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
lights out?

I am going to be out of town for a week and I am a bit worried about my tank since the weather is supposed to be so hot. My apartment gets very hot and there will be no one around to attempt temperature regulation.

Its a 30 gal tank, and the lights are 60W of power compact fluorescents suspended about 4 inches above the surface of the water. Nonetheless, those bulbs do get fairly warm and I would like to do whatever I can to help keep the water temp below 80, even though that will be nearly impossible.

I would like to just turn off the light fixture for the week to minimize the heating. Will everything be okay? It will still get ambient light during the day, but no direct sun or anything like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think it will be fine -what about feeding the fish though - they would also likely be fine but I would feel bad not feeding my fish for a full week.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 04:53 AM

Do you have plants in the aquarium? They should be OK for a week, though they might be a bit yellow and straggly when you get back.

Why not put a fan on a timer while you are away?

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

leave the lights off, i am pretty sure the plants and the fish will be fine.

-SF Giants WS champs-
Haters gonna Hate
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

A week should not be a trouble. Feed the fishes well (little more than normal) for a few days before leaving and don't worry about the plants they will survive the week but when you come back pamper them with lights and ferts.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
is 130 watts of compact florescent better than 108 watts of HO florescent?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Fish will be fine for a week without food. I would just cut your photoperiod in half for a week. Plants will be fine but a bit leggy. Do a wc the day before you leave. Dose your ferts as normal. Just make sure you at least have one dose of micros and one of macros. Leave co2 as is. When you come back, trim and wc. Cutting your photoperiod in half will also help with the temps.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the suggestions!

Guess I should have mentioned, I run a relatively low-tech tank, so my lights are only on for 7 hrs as it is. Ferts come from fert tabs in the substrate, CO2 is just a bit of DIY supplemented only during the summer.

I have an automatic feeder for the fish, plus my sister will stop by once to check on things and make sure they actually got some food.

Guess I will just cut back the photoperiod a bit to minimize amount of time the lights are on. Sounds like that will be a good compromise.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicks7.1985 View Post
is 130 watts of compact florescent better than 108 watts of HO florescent?
These are completely different. 108 watts of T5HO lighting cannot be compared to 130 watts of CFL lighting...

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 01:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
Since its a low tech tank, just leave it as is then. If you are worried about the temps, then cut down the lighting for 2hrs or so. Or, just run the lights at night when the ambient temp is lower.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
These are completely different. 108 watts of T5HO lighting cannot be compared to 130 watts of CFL lighting...
I fail to see why they would be that much different, provided you got the same color temp and similar spectrum bulbs. I could see the T5s out preforming the CFLs because you can mount individual reflectors behind them, but other than that, I would expect similar results.

Please explain why the two types of lighting are "completely different" and "cannot be compared".
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 AM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
Pc is old school. Inefficient, the restrike is huge with PC lamps, and the individual reflectors are the biggest reason why T5 produce such stronger light. Most of the light that hits reflector behind a PC just hits the PC again and is Lost.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:16 AM

As justlikeapill mentioned, CFL bulbs lose a large amount of light due to restrike. Most T5 bulbs nowadays come with good reflectors, so that will already increase the amount of light that you will have.

In addition, T5HO bulbs are very efficient. Two 54W bulbs over a 55 gallon tank would be sufficient to put the tank into "high light" category very easily.

Anthony

and

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:29 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelady View Post
I am going to be out of town for a week and I am a bit worried about my tank since the weather is supposed to be so hot. My apartment gets very hot and there will be no one around to attempt temperature regulation.

Its a 30 gal tank, and the lights are 60W of power compact fluorescents suspended about 4 inches above the surface of the water. Nonetheless, those bulbs do get fairly warm and I would like to do whatever I can to help keep the water temp below 80, even though that will be nearly impossible.

I would like to just turn off the light fixture for the week to minimize the heating. Will everything be okay? It will still get ambient light during the day, but no direct sun or anything like that.
I would not leave your lights off entirely for a week- your plants probably would suffer. I'd put them on a timer with about a 4 hour photoperiod, and you could run them either early morning or late afternoon to avoid running during the heat of the day.

That being said, all my tanks run 80-82F this time of year and do just fine...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode