Keeping stem plants anchored down - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Keeping stem plants anchored down

Just wondering how some of you are keeping your stem plants from coming free and floating to the top. Right now I am having trouble keeping my Limnophila Aromaticas from breaking free and was just seeing what some of you might suggest. I was thinking of wrapping some cotton with a rubber band around the bottom of the stem to give it some what of a base to hold it down, but I don't know how that will go later on in time and for when it starts to root more. Any info would be great!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I bought some small lead strips from the LFS. Just cut them into smaller chunks and wrap them around the base. I've had a few plants that no matter how deep I put them in the substrate, they always float up, but those strips work great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (104/100%)
what are you using for substrate? the lead straps work fine, just remember to remove them once rooted.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
i like to burry the stem, and atleast 1 leaf. the leaf acts as an anchor. then just be carefull around that plant for a few weeks untill the roots take hold.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I insert the plant into the substrate, then carefully push it sideways an inch or so; filling in the little trench in the substrate this leaves before releasing the plant.

This leaves the buried part of the stem and any roots at an angle in the substrate, which helps keep it from lifting straight out.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
+1 dark Cobra

I do the same with a 14 " tweezer. Insert , then dtrag a little, release and your done.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I found that doing it by hand is the best method.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 12:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I've never had too much trouble as long as the stem is an inch or more into the substrate. Longer stems are more boyant, and can be more prone to floating out from my experience.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
i always plant my stems in bunches of 5 or so plants, i use some long forceps to push them down a inch or so. Then i lightly release them and give the forceps a little jiggle as i pull them out, it kind of helps pack the soil down around them.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 05:07 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
I insert the plant into the substrate, then carefully push it sideways an inch or so; filling in the little trench in the substrate this leaves before releasing the plant.

This leaves the buried part of the stem and any roots at an angle in the substrate, which helps keep it from lifting straight out.
I think this is a great method. Nothing else worked for me.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 07:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (83/100%)
I usually plant stems using twezers at a slight angle. Depending on what type of stem, i would at least have one node in the substrate. Slowly release the stem while jiggling the tweezers helps to get the substrate to cover the rest of the stem. Also, a good set of tweezers makes a big difference. I like the ones that are angled and very thin at the tip. Works best for me.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A small stone and rubber band has helped me in the past with stiff, thick, hollow stemmed plants with whom I had the trouble with anchoring.

Just have the stone with rubber band above the substrate to facilitate removal when roots have formed - all that needs to be done is snip rubber band with a scissor and remove it and the stone.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
i like to burry the stem, and atleast 1 leaf. the leaf acts as an anchor. then just be carefull around that plant for a few weeks untill the roots take hold.
+1

I also plant stems at a nearly 45 degree angle. Amano recommends this method in his first book.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode