Moving Tank Advise - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moving Tank Advise

I am moving my planted 65 gallon tall tank across town, not a long trip but still a trip none the less. This is an opportunity to make a few improvements (and hopefully not destroy the tank) so I am hoping for some thoughts from you experienced aquarists about/beyond the changes below.

Currently:
65 gallon tall
gravel substrate
2 T5 HO lighting
Pressurized CO2
2 HOB Filters
Residents- African Knife, 5 Congo Tetras, Male Ram, Whip Tail Pleco?/Catfish?, one Otto (he hangs with the Whip Tail cause all his friends died ), and some of Nerite Snails.

Changes:
55 gallon because the 65 has a spot where the silicon is cut which worries me and because it is too deep causing problems with water movement and plant growth at the bottom.
plant substrate

Other ideas or suggestions about moving a planted tank other than to not break it

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

It looks like you are replacing the tank. If that is the case, and you have time, consider setting up the new tank before you tear down the old one. If you don't have the 55 gal tank yet, you could even consider getting a larger tank, but that another set of issues.

You'd need an additional stand, and a few extras, but that's about all. Then set up the new tank in it's new location, optional you could use one of those exotic substratas. Add a heater if you need get the temp correct. Once the water is ok, then move one of the HOB filters. Don't clean it too much. You want it to establish the bacteria base on the new system. Now wait a week or so.

On moving day, move the lighting, CO2, other HOB filter, fish, plants, rocks, and other decoration. Once everything is in it's new home, you can tear down the old tank. note that you don't have the problems of actually moving the large tank, or washing a lot of gravel on moving day.

Not everyone wants to end up with a lot of extra equipment. so if an additional stand is out of the question, I would have a supply of new water that is all set to go at the new location. I'd use one of those large round rubbermaid trash cans, cure it, just in case there is anything in the plastic, and fill it with water, a powerhead, and a heater prior to the move.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, unfortunatly buying a new stand is out of the question. I was offered a 90 gallon for free from a friend but I really don't feel like having to readjust and change everything. I am hoping that the 55 will be about the same as the 65. But I do like your idea about setting up a rubbermaid tub before hand with the second filter. I am really trying to avoid the new tank set up cycling.

Do you think that mixing a little of the gravel from the current tank would help establish good bacteria into the new plant soil? Would bringing 10gallons of water from the old tank and putting it in the new tank help establish my little nitrogen processing friends?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trio123 View Post
Do you think that mixing a little of the gravel from the current tank would help establish good bacteria into the new plant soil? Would bringing 10gallons of water from the old tank and putting it in the new tank help establish my little nitrogen processing friends?
I think that would be a good idea.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well that's two votes, I guess I will, thanks
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Algae Grower

go to home depot and get the orange 5 gallon buckets. You can get them with lids for a couple of bucks a piece.

The fish are totally fine in them and its way more convenient than having to get them into little individual bags. You can also obviously use them to transport plants, filter media and substrate. They're very heavy duty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

got them

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode