dolomite for gh booster? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
dolomite for gh booster?

i was just about to order some gh booster and was looking through the list of ferts and ran into dolomite. can this be used as a gh booster/kh booster?

can it be used?
does anyone have any numbers that i could play with? for instance, how many grams of dolomite will raise x amount of gallons by y ppm of magnesium and calcium?

better yet how many degrees gh and kh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:08 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I think you can use it but it's hard to say x->y. The Ca&Mg make up depends on the mineral and it's not very soluble, unless it's powdered.

You'll have to experiment with a small bag of it in your filter and see what the numbers are in GH & KH.

It will raise PH too btw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i guess you're right. its only $3.00. it wouldnt be an expensive experiment. do you know of anyone else that uses it as a gh booster, or to compensate for minerals lost with ro/di?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
If you are talking about adding dolomite chips/pebbles to the filter, it would dissolve more when it was fresh then get covered in biofilm and dissolve more slowly (pebbles of dolomite would already dissolve pretty slow in the first place.

Using crushed coral would raise GH as well as KH. Not sure if dolomite affects KH, but if not then it would make since to use crushed coral instead so you could kill two birds with one stone.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i was assuming that it comes as a powder. this is where i stumbled accross it
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/in...ShowItemStart=

i was hoping that it was something like barrs gh booster. i dont want to start dealing with things that i need to dissolve like crushed coral and if the dolomite comes in chips like you're saying than i'm gonna forget about that.

i use a ph controller and i tried crushed coral before. the co2 would lower the ph which would help dissolve the crushed coral, which raised my kh, which raised my ph, which turned my co2 back on. and then the cycle would continue. and thats how i killed my fish.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 02:25 AM
Banned

PTrader: (37/100%)
I dont know if aquariumfertilizers sells it powdered or not. Where i used to work it came in 50 lb bags and it waS a coarse mix of rock, dust and chips. That powder is used to mix up with mineralized topsoil, and people use Dolomite in mts precisely because it dissolves so slowly.

Just buy the gh booster... I add a quarter teaspoon when I chang my water. Add your amount in a glass half full of water, swirl it around in the cup/glass to get it all suspended, And pour it in your tank. It clouds the water for like 5 minutes then the water is clear again after it has fully dissolved.

Be sure to mix it with water first. Don't just dump it n there, or else you'll get lumps and they will take a while to dissolve. The lumps are similar to those calcium fish feeders that people use when they go on vacation.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i already use gh booster i was just wondering how dolomite would work.

thanks for the info
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
i already use gh booster i was just wondering how dolomite would work.

thanks for the info
Hey Tim, I got some dolomite powder from Swanson health products about a month ago. Here's the 'garanteed analysis'. It was 4$..

If you were still looking into this, I know this thread is old. I may start usig it. It dissolves much easier.

It's made by Kal.

per teaspoon (5 grams)

Calcium (as Calcium carbonate) : 1100 milligrams
Iron : ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 2 milligrams
Magesium (as magnesium Carbonate) 630 milligrams

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode