The Aquarium Blues - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
The Aquarium Blues

Has anyone else gone through a time when you have just wanted to throw in the towel because you have lost your motivation to do anything with your tanks? The past week has been like that for me. I have enjoyed my tanks, but I have just lost motivation for the time in doing anything with them. Don't get me wrong, I am still feeding my fish, and keeping up with water changes and dosing, but the plants and layout just seem boring to me. I put in a new piece of driftwood which looks nice, but maybe it is time to try some different plants. I don't know, maybe it is just because life is really hectic right now and I am viewing my tanks as work instead of pleasure.

Current Tank Journals:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sure.

Especially when much of the pleasure comes from always wanting to experiment and change things around, and life becomes too hectic to enjoy that. Or when results don't measure up to an imagined ideal; regardless of whether you have a clear idea of what that ideal is.

I took a total break from aquaria for a few years myself.

Some suggestions:

* Do what you're doing now - minimize maintenance on all tanks, or pick just one to actively work on out of the bunch.
* Possibly convert some or all tanks to lower-tech, lower-maintenance.
* Spend a little time when possible just relaxing and looking at your tanks, enjoying them for what they are; do not allow thoughts about changes and improvements to enter your mind. Treat it like a mini-vacation or meditation.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
I took a total break from aquaria for a few years myself.

Some suggestions:

* Do what you're doing now - minimize maintenance on all tanks, or pick just one to actively work on out of the bunch.
* Possibly convert some or all tanks to lower-tech, lower-maintenance.
* Spend a little time when possible just relaxing and looking at your tanks, enjoying them for what they are; do not allow thoughts about changes and improvements to enter your mind. Treat it like a mini-vacation or meditation.
I too took an extended break from aquariums; about 2 years. I was moving around a lot and lost the motivation to work on them but I got the bug back and set up a nano. Now I am setting up a rimless cube in the next month.

One of the most frustrating things about aquariums is that it will never be perfect. It will never be what you have pictured in your mind. Something wont work or something will go wrong.

The suggestions above will really help you. Try not to make it perfect, but rather enjoy it for the perfect imperfection that aquariums inherently are.

Eheim Pimpin 225

--GTO--

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I think one main thing DarkCobra mentioned is lack of time to enjoy the tank. I have been so busy with work, part time work, HS graduation and now college preparations, vacation, along with the routine work taking care of a house leaves little time to enjoy the art of aquarium keeping. I love aquariums! Just need time to enjoy them.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
It's happened to me. I kept a tank of Ps. Saulosi for several years when I wasn't that interested in them. But, they recently died and I'm now working on redoing my tank to a planted tank and am starting to get more excited about it.

What about changing your fish around?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMott View Post
It's happened to me. I kept a tank of Ps. Saulosi for several years when I wasn't that interested in them. But, they recently died and I'm now working on redoing my tank to a planted tank and am starting to get more excited about it.

What about changing your fish around?
I really like the fish I have and I have had some of them for 4-5 years. I think that some of it is the layout and the tank. The tank is a 90gal corner bowfront and it has been difficult to find the right scape that looks good in it. I would really like to get a 125 gallon, but funds are tight right now so I have to live with what I have at the moment. I am sure this feeling will pass, just need to free up more time. Has anyone found the cure for not having to sleep???

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I get like that. Sometimes it means it is time to tear down and aquarium, and start it over again. I think a big part of what I like about aquariums is planning and watching them grow out. Once their done I feel like they need to do something else.

Tanks shouldn't be work though. Maybe you should scale back? When I was in school and working, the couple of hours every glorious Saturday was a most welcome distraction. I'm a creature of extreme habit though, and every part of me and everyone around me knew Saturday morning was a me time. Sometimes I felt like I was doing something that I shouldn't, but I do that sometimes and let myself get away with it.

- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
I think one main thing DarkCobra mentioned is lack of time to enjoy the tank. I have been so busy with work, part time work, HS graduation and now college preparations, vacation, along with the routine work taking care of a house leaves little time to enjoy the art of aquarium keeping. I love aquariums! Just need time to enjoy them.
As much as I hate to say it, this might be a good time to cut way back on or get out of the hobby for awhile. If your going to college, you are going to be very busy with school work and all the other stuff that goes along with college. College is a great time, but it's full of other distractions, and aquarium projects tend to take a back seat.

Those 4 years will pass quickly, and once your out working, you'll also have the money to build that dream system you want. That is provides minor details like a wife (or husband), kids, and such don't get in the way .
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
As much as I hate to say it, this might be a good time to cut way back on or get out of the hobby for awhile. If your going to college, you are going to be very busy with school work and all the other stuff that goes along with college. College is a great time, but it's full of other distractions, and aquarium projects tend to take a back seat.

Those 4 years will pass quickly, and once your out working, you'll also have the money to build that dream system you want. That is provides minor details like a wife (or husband), kids, and such don't get in the way .
Sorry DaveK, I should have clarified the HS graduation and college thing better......it is my daughter who graduated and is going to college, not me...even though I wouldn't mind going back to those days. Just trying to do all the paperwork, loans, books, and getting all the supplies she will need.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nobody did my paperwork for me. Make her take care of the tanks then

- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Sorry DaveK, I should have clarified the HS graduation and college thing better......it is my daughter who graduated and is going to college, not me...even though I wouldn't mind going back to those days. Just trying to do all the paperwork, loans, books, and getting all the supplies she will need.
That does put a completely different light on things.

In that case, if you have to do all that work, put her to work on the aquariums, so you can sit back and enjoy them. You can tell I don't have any kids.

Although my younger nephew, now in his early 20's, visits, he often helps me with aquarium stuff, but he likes doing that.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 03:44 AM
Algae Grower

Always!!

In fact 70% of the time I think these bloody aquariums are just a hassle I don't need, but I just can't bring myself to tear them down because I know I will just set them up again.

It's a curse.

I am really happy with my 30g, I can deal with it. All I have to do is top up the water and feed the fish ever now and again, it's a breeze. But my discus tank... just ugh.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'm kind of going thru this right now - but for me it's more related to health issues. So basically I'm rehoming the larger fish that will live longer and just not replacing the smaller fish as they die. Eventually I'll tear the tank down and that will be the end of it I guess. Kinda sad, but all good things eventually come to an end. I just know that if something were to happen to me it would be an unwanted burden on my husband to have to deal with the fish.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
being im growing in a dinky 20h i run in to the bored with it alot, mostly because i have filled it to capacity with plants leaving me with nothing else to do but trim and remove rather than trim and plant to alter the scape.

i end up tearing up a quarter to half of all my plants every couple months so i can simply be able to watch it grow in again.

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
I think it really depends why you like the hobby. If your someone that's really into aquatic plants and likes to experiment with different species than you might never tire of it. Personally I'm more into the aesthetic appeal of the setup. Now that being said, I've gone through phases with stem-based tanks, where I had to stop and wonder if it's worth it. I've actually created a challenge for myself to setup tanks where I didn't have to do much in terms of trimming, etc and still make them appealing to me and hopefully others. So I've almost completely gone away from multiple stem tanks and have either rhizome and moss based setups where there is much less time required. I might add one stem around a focal point, but for the most part there isn't much to do, but change the water with my python and dose. Pretty easy and if the tank looks appealing and adds to a room I think the changes are much less that I wil tire of doing it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode