Koi friendly plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Koi friendly plants

One of my room mates recently left, and ditched his koi fish. I gladly took them in the tank i was saving for aquascaping. I've done as much research as I can on koi fish, and i love them to death, But i'm having a hard time finding out what i can and can't plant in the same tank. I keep reading they'll eat EVERYTHING, and then other people say they avoid certain plants. I'm looking for some easy matinence beautiful plants that hopefully can be planted in the same tank as 5 small koi (between 1 to 3 inches). Any sugguestions or advice I'd really appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Floaters are good. Salvinia, Mini Water Lettuce, frogbit, duckweed, and water hyacynth.

Thye may uproot plants, but you will need some when they grow to lower nitrates.

We have a 15-16" Koi in a 60 gallon...it started out 3-4"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Nue
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Floating plants may work, but don't forget how big Koi fish get. They are destructive to planted tanks, so if you want a planted tank I would recommend giving them to someone with a pond for proper housing. And getting some planted tank friendly fish.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

my 3 koi love duckweed, I can put a sandwich size zippie of it in my pond and by night its all been eaten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 64
90 Gallon Low light/Easy Maintenance
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

You guys think any mosses will be eaten immediately? I was thinking of doing a nice moss wall for the bare back wall. I feel like since parts of it will always be safeguarded by mesh, they may have the capability to constantly grow just enough to look pretty. Thinking pretty basic plastic mesh on suction cups with moss in between.

Thanks again you guys. New to this site and i love it already.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)
Well the duckweed and frogbit are a favorite. I don't have koi, but my sister's 3 inch goldfish ate all the duckweed and frogbit I gave her. I thought goldfish didn't eat Elodea, but I guess they do since the elodea in my goldfish tank is leafless now. The only plant in my goldfish tank that is left is leafless elodea. I used to have a Marimo in there, but they started eating that too, so i took it out but the marimo has a chunck missing out of it

It is hard to find non-tasty plants.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Keep in mind that fish are like kids and will eat their most favorite thing first, till it's gone, then their next favorite thing till that's gone and so on. Could be eloeda is way down their list of favorite foods.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Our 16" Koi does not eat Frogbit or Salvinia. It's too big to care about duckweed, too. All three floaters are on our tank with the Koi, which is not planted and has a gravel bed (that is all).

I have Cardinals and amano shrimp in my planted tank; hence, no threat to my scape.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Let me clarify:

You'll need some type of nitrate remover (plants) in the tank with 3 koi as they get bigger. That is why I suggested floaters.

On the other hand, you will not be able to scape that tank b/c the koi will tear everything up.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 07:29 PM

I have eight goldfish and koi in a 75 gallon tank. They have successfully eaten every plant I bought except "anubius", it is a very hardy plant and I planted them in mason jars so they couldn't get at the roots. I suggest the same for you, get some really thick hardy plants and put em in jars
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Koi get REALLY BIG.
They will ultimately need 1000 gallons or more.
They are very hungry for plants, and they grow fast.

Ditto the other comments: Any plants will be short lived.

Set up a planted sump for nitrogen removal. Emersed, floating plants. Leaves in the air, roots in the water will be the best N removal plants. Water Hyacinth, Water Lettuce and other large, fast plants are best. High light. (sunlight).
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 09:14 PM

Agreed about water lettuce, but I haven't tried water hyacinth. This post says koi will just eat them all. Is that true?

Tags
koi, planted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode