Using anacharis as a nutrient export - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-03-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using anacharis as a nutrient export

Has anyone tried growing anacharis in a sump as a nutrient export plant? Since it can grow floating it could be a very good way to keep algea under control if you have excessive nutrients.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 64
90 Gallon Low light/Easy Maintenance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

I've never done that in a sump, but I have often used it in the main tank when I had an algae problem. Some claim that it puts out chemicals that inhibit algae growth. I'm kind of sceptical about that. That and similar plants were mentioned for such a purpose during the initial setup phase of a planted tank in the book The Optimum Aquarium. I believe the book is out of print, but is available used on Amazon. It is rather obsolete by today's standards, and to some extent was almost a product for the old Dupla products, since the author's owned Dupla. Oddly enough, the price ranges from pennies (4 to 6 cents) to almost $200.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:32 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
What triggers algae mainly is light so having it in the sump won't help your main tank. Maybe lower your lights intensity or have more floating plants in your tank if algae is an issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I read an article on TFH Magazine about a large fish farm in Florida that used a natural filter for his systems using a lot of bacopa as a filter mechanism.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
using floating plants in the sump for a planted tank is a bit of counterproductivity. Excess nutrients are almost never a real concern. Balance can be (regarding nutrients) but it's generally a light/C02 balance issue with ferts bringing up the rear.

That said, using plants in a sump for fry growout tanks etc. will definitely help you out in the maintenance department.

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
A plant like duckweed would suck more out than anything else. You'd have to develop a way with fine screen to prevent it from getting in main tank.

The floating plants in fish farms prevent algae by reducing light in the ponds. They help keep them cooler(shade) and suck up nitrates(not an algae cause, just bad for fish).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode