Will plants survive after I used methylene blue? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Will plants survive after I used methylene blue?

I had previously used methylene blue in my aquarium. I was wondering if any plants would survive in the aquarium? It was over 5 years ago. I had also used fluke tabs at one time. Please let me know. Thank you. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't think you would have a problem since it was 5 years ago. I assume you kept up regular water changes. Obviously, don't treat your tank with that stuff once you plant it.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 01:11 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
You'll be fine. I've dosed methylene blue in my tank with plants with no ill effect.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

Other than a stain left on the foliage; your plants will not suffer any perceptible damage - but don't overdo it.

Why are dosing methylene blue? Is it for ich?

If your fishes have ich add a broad spectrum antibiotic along with methylene blue - some ich parasites have been found to carry couple of bacteria in them and cause a more virulent (and mortal) attack. The antibiotics will not harm your plants but it will cause havoc to your cycle bacteria and you will have to do nearly daily water changes for a month.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
use bausmans fish tonic. found here: www.wetthumbaquatics.com
awesome stuff, will give your fish AND plants a nice little boost. even safe for fry and i have used with cherry shrimp at 1 tsp per gallon to destroy hydra (at which its does an awesome job) with no harm done
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No, I am no longer using it. I used it about 5 years ago. I haven't planted anything yet in the tank. It is going to go in my home office. Thank you all for your response.

Do you all know the minimum sized tank a Clown Pleco could be in? I looked it up online, and found 20 gallon to be the minimum size. My clown doesn't do anything all day except sit on his piece of driftwood. I would like to go smaller, but if it is not possible I will keep the 29. =) TY all.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode