New to PT: High Planted Tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to PT: High Planted Tank?

Hi all,

This will be my first planted tank and I had a couple questions.

I just received a kind of old tank from a neighbor. It is an eclipse system with two T8 15w bulbs which seem kind of dull so I was thinking of replacing them. This leaves me with 30w total but the tank is about 26" high. Is the light going to penetrate the water deep enough to allow for a planted tank?

I have already used eco-complete planted aquarium substrate and filled with water just to get the cycling going.

My other question is that there appears to stains on the glass. They are whitish colored and they go away when I wipe it down but once it dries it returns. I've tried water and a lot of rubbing as well as vinegar but hasn't seemed to work. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by CaseyC; 07-31-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 01:40 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The white stains that you have mentioned sound like hard water stains to me. Try using vinegar, but soaking a paper towel/rag with it and simply leaving it on the hard water stain for a while (say 30 minutes), and then try wiping. It takes some time for them to get completely dissolved by the weak acetic acid in vinegar.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You won't get enough light to grow plants with 2 T8 bulbs over a 26 inch high tank. You might be able to replace those lights with an AH Supply PC light kit, http://www.ahsupply.com/18_or_24_w_kits.htm which would give you a much better chance for having enough light for plants.

Hoppy

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice.

If I installed one of those it would only give me 24w total right?
Still better due to the kind of lights they are?

Anyone with experience with this know if I can install this in a plastic top. I would like to put it into my eclipse hood if possible.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sounds like the same Eclipse 25g I have.

Mine was also used, and had stains on the glass. The ones on the inside were partially removed with the vinegar technique Darkblade48 described, and are invisible when the tank is filled. There were also some on the outside in one corner, from the filter leaking water down the back of the tank (this can happen if the filter isn't set up right). These couldn't be removed, as the glass was etched.

The stock lights will grow wisteria and hornwort slowly, but well enough::

Other low light plants might work too.

The integrated hood doesn't give you a lot of room for modifications. It may be easier to toss it and start from scratch. I dislike the filter design anyway, water tends to go through it without passing through the filter media.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Your tank looks amazing!

Thats pretty much what I'm going for. So that setup is all stock stuff with the hood?

Yea I thought the filtration looked a little suspect.

Do you use anything else with your tank? Fertilizer or additives at all?
What do you have in your tank as far as snails and other livestock and plants?

Thanks for the help.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yep, completely stock. I added a small aerator since I had a spare, and I don't completely trust the filter and tight-fitting lid to oxygenate the water. And switched the bulbs for some GE full spectrums I had on hand, which makes the tank look brighter; but virtually any bulb will grow plants about the same. Some 6500K "daylight" bulbs would look great in there.

Substrate is plain gravel, with nothing added.

Plants are wisteria and hornwort. I did have a swordplant in there a long time ago, it neither grew nor looked unhealthy. I moved it to a higher light tank, and it hardly grew in there either until I added root tabs; so maybe that's all it would have needed. Aponogetons (commonly known as Betta Bulbs) would probably do great in this tank; they resemble swords and have their own food supply in the bulbs, which will last them a few months.

Fish are guppies, platys, and swords. This is currently where I keep excess livebearers, and it's usually well stocked (and sometimes overstocked) until I find something to do with them. They just keep breeding...

Inverts are red ramshorn snails, pond snails, and mystery snails. None of which are required for algae control, since this tank has never grown any algae worth mentioning. I have to feed them algae chips.

The fish produce plenty of nitrates and phosphates for plant growth. I used to add Flourish for iron and other trace minerals, but stopped since I couldn't see any difference. I've never tried adding anything else (dry ferts, potassium, CO2, Excel, etc).

I do a 50% water change every week or two.

It's about as low-maintenance as you can get, which is the way I like it; since my other, fancier tanks are more demanding.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome. Low maintenance is what I'm going for too.

Thanks for the advice and info about your tank.

Think I'm going to go stock and see how it goes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode