Not sure what to do next - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not sure what to do next

I'm using the Redsea Turbo setup with DIY CO2 on a 29 gallon tank. I have a 2xT5 HO light fixture. I've noticed a difference in my plants since switching from the Redsea crap to the DIY but it's nothing dramatic. I think the thing to do next is to lower my PH but I'm not sure how to go about it. Right out of the tap if I remember it was about 8.3. Oh, I'm using Flourish tabs and was using Excel. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Water out of the tap at 8.3 sounds very high. That's about what SW is.

I'd say first get a new pH test kit and retest your tank and tap water. You need to know where you are first. Then plan your course of action. For example, if your tap water is 8.3, water changes are not going to do a thing. However, if the tap water is 6.5, water changes will lower pH very nicely.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Probably no real reason to mess with the Ph, but with a Ph that high I am guessing you have a really high Gh/Kh and that is probably the problem. RO/DI. I used to buy water from the grocery store dispenser. That is another option. Some LFS will sell RO/DI water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I don't think there is any need to mess with your pH. If you are not seeing much of a response from your DIY CO2 I would suggest putting some effort into increasing CO2 levels and circulation in the tank. You probably have too much light for the amount of CO2 you are providing.

You may also see better response if you start dosing the water column. For starters you don't appear to be dosing any micronutrients at all. Get yourself some Flourish comp or dry CSM+B which will dose micros. I would also augment your fert tabs with Nitrates and Phosphates either liquid (expensive) or dry (cheap). T5HO lighting is intense and it drives the plants to want plenty of fertilizers and CO2 or they don't do well. There is a "dosing regimes" sticky at the top of the Fertilizers and Water Parameters forum that will help you figure out how to dose your tank.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My PH has been tested several times by different LFS's. This was before using DIY Co2 though. As for water circulation (left that part out), I have an AC 30 and a HOT Magnum with custom spray bar on the tank (plenty of circulation!!) Not to mention the pump from the Red Sea Turbo.

Captain_bu, as for the rest of your post, none of that was English to me
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Algae Grower

Captain_bu is talking about your fertilizer regime, and if it's greek (that stuff can be _really_ confusing--I'm with you), it's well worth spending a little time with the stickies/faqs in the fertilizer forum, b/c that will make more difference in the results you see than anything else. It took me a really long time to get my head around it all (and no claims to have completed the process!) but fundamentally it seems to me to boil down to choosing one of the proven systems out there and following it very precisely till you start to see how it works w/i your own setup.

Good luck!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
As a fellow Floridian, I'm pretty sure your water is liquid rock. But unless your goal is to spawn some blackwater fish, or you're dying to propogate some Toninas or Erios, it's probably fine just as it is.

My guess is that your CO2 levels aren't where they need to be to keep up with T5HO lighting since you're only using DIY CO2 rather than pressurized on the tank. If you don't want to spring for a pressurized CO2 setup, you might try setting up 2 bottles on either end of the tank, and also getting a drop checker with a 4dkH solution in it to get a better read on your actual CO2 levels.

And then you also need to get a balanced fertilizer regimen going- which means you'll need to work out the "chemistry soup" of dosing ferts.

An Option B would be to lower your lighting... which would lower your plants' demand for carbon and other nutrients.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the replies people. I will leave my PH alone then and start reading up in the fertilizer forum. Time has been rough for me lately. Worked almost 70 hours in 5 days but have today and tomorrow off. Want to start reading what I need so I can order all of it.

If I were to get a Co2 setup and stop using DIY, how much would I be looking at if I wanted one for the 29 but will work on a 75/90 gallon? I could swing the money, just don't know what the hell I'm buying!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
A good pressurized CO2 setup will put you back $200-300.

And you could use the same system on a 29gal as a 90gal.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
A good pressurized CO2 setup will put you back $200-300.

And you could use the same system on a 29gal as a 90gal.
this is the biggie. Everything else you ever buy for aquariums (just about) will not transfer when you upgrade to a larger tank. filters, powerheads, heaters, etc will all have to be upsized to get what you need. A decent Co2 system seems like a huge expense (and it is) but it'll be with you for a lifetime. (and be the single best purchase you can make for a planted tank)

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargonchipmunk View Post
(and be the single best purchase you can make for a planted tank)
I bet it is. My problem right now is finding the time to read up on what to buy and how to do it. Not to mention I just plain old hate reading. I'm a hands on learner. I rather live in a fish store for a week to learn what I need to do. Maybe it's just the chemistry of it all that makes it hard for me to comprehend. I just need to take some alone time and just get down and dirty in the forums if this is what I really want (it is).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode