Newbie plant buying advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Newbie plant buying advice

I'm sure you get this all the time, but I'm a newbie trying to figure everything out. I've been reading through the forum for the last week or so and I'm still trying to catch my breath. I've kept tanks in the past, and had a fw live plants mixed in with my plastics, but this will be my first shot at a full live tank. I've got a 75 gallon tank that I'm looking to fill with plants. Right now I'm running 2 48" T8 bulbs 32w at 6500K I'm considering adding 1 to 2 more 48" T8 bulbs. I don't want to go too far with the light because I don't want to have to add CO2.

Now I know very little about the individual plants, so I was considering ordering one of the plant packages that some places sale. I've seen packages at aquariumplants and freshwateraquariumplants. The packages I'm looking at come with around 50 plants. So my question is does anybody have any experiences with these dealears? Are these packages a good place to start or should I try to figure out what plants to get and build my own package? Is there a better place to look for a plant assortment package?

Thanks in Advance
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 05:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
If you find a package that you like they should say what plants come in it. Write them down and post a WTB thread on the S&S. That is by far the best way to get plants. You will recieve better looking plants and more, for less money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/100%)
I bought plants from freshwateraquariumplants before and I'm satisfied with the plants they sent, they all arrived healthy... But after knowing TPT and other forum sites alike, I just go the Sales sub forum and buy plants from fellow hobbyists...

Just post a WTB (Want To Buy) thread in the Swap n Shop section here and someone will help you with the plants you're looking for or could sell you a nice plant package... Good luck with your NPT!

Filstar Pimp #151

Eheim Pimp #458

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
That's a good idea. I'll post up a request there and see if somebody can help me out. Thanks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Here's a nice plant package:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...t-package.html

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 06:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
If you find a package that you like they should say what plants come in it. Write them down and post a WTB thread on the S&S. That is by far the best way to get plants. You will recieve better looking plants and more, for less money.
Yeah... maybe maybe not. There are dozens of places to buy plants from on the internet, and most of them do a good job most of the time. I'm actually amazed at the prices people get away with selling in the forum sometimes.

Shop smart. Do a little research. Find out what type of plants do best for the type of set up you will have. The nice thing about buying all the plants from one qualified source is you get everything you need, and exactly what you want quickly, and if you can contact someone at the place you are buying from and they are knowledgable about the plants, they can help you to pick out the right plants.

Mostly what you will find in the forum is stem plant cuttings, and some foreground plants. You may want to stay away from most stems if you are not going to have C02. Any sword plants, Cryptocorynes, java ferns or other water ferns, Anubias, Crinums, Vallisneria, Sagittaria, Aponogetons should do well with moderate light, and maybe even low light. These rooted or bulb plants often come potted where they are very well rooted and will get a good start in your aquarium.

Quote:
Here's a nice plant package:
Yikes! You would seriously reccomend those plants to a beginer who is not planning to have C02? Seriously? Half those plants are considered difficult even with high light and C02, and I dont think most of them would last a month without C02. I hope you didnt buy it. Seriously dude

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I agree that plant package would NOT be a good starter package.

And I also agree that plants from fellow hobbyists is one of the best ways to get healthy plants. You just have to weigh out the costs of shipping if you end up wanting multiple packages, and with a 75gal tank, that can add up quickly.

Until you get a chance to beef up your lighting, I'd stick with Java ferns, mosses, and Anubias for now.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
With a 75 gallon tank and two T8 bulbs (Been there, done that) fill that sucker with stems, java moss, java fern, anubis, and grow the heck out of them to keep the algae from getting a foot hold. You'll probably really want added carbon sooner rather than later. Excel (or search for Cidex or Metricide dosing) will suffice quite nicely (again, been there done that).
Bocapa and hygro in several forms would look nice and grow well with your existing lighting. When you can increase the lighting, start removing the annoyingly fast growers and replace them with more demanding plants.

Patience, and our experiences, can save you money, plants, and head aches. As for packages, it's a good way to look at a lot of plant varieties, but with low lighting and no CO2, you'll be left with what survives. In my opinion, it's better to start with what will survive and work your way up from there. Your mileage may vary.
Good luck.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I second what dbosman said above at the end...TAKE YOUR TIME and do your research. In the long run it will save you tons of money. We've all been in your shoes and the pure passion and wonder of the hobby at the start can be a big time waster and money drain in the long run if not kept in check. The plants will always be out there, and there are many ways to buy and most places are honest and do a good job.

Try to come up with a concept of what you ultimately want and work towards it. I've just fired my 55gal back up after a long time relocating and taking it slowly and looking at a lot of pics here. Sure you can load it up and have something to look at and it's always nice to have the latest and greatest, but it's just not necessary. If you want to keep plants, then start by keeping what you can and chase the technology as funds allow. Your fauna choices in the long run should be impacting your flora decisions now. These things all have to be considered.

The true fun of this hobby, in my eyes, is the learning process and challenging yourself to achieve what you can with what you can at the time. Believe me, I've done the massive scale latest tech. thing before (this might be my first post, but have done large ponds 5k+ gal and big aquariums) and it's GREAT, but what's better is the work leading towards the accomplishment. A good place to start is by checking the low tech forums and see what can be accomplished with modest equipment, passion and patience.

Moss on driftwood or rocks is always a solid way to get started.

Just my .02, now back to the lurk...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode