Odyssea 2x24W T5HO and glass aquarium canopy - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to caall99
Odyssea 2x24W T5HO and glass aquarium canopy

I installed my T5HO lighting system about a week ago, but am starting to get concerned about shrimp and fish jumping out of my aquarium. I would like to get a glass cover to avoid having to deal with escape artists, but from what i can tell, the glass canopy will not fit on the tank inner rim with the light fixture mounting legs installed. Has anyone else modded their legs so that they could install a glass canopy, and still use the tilt functionality of the fixture mounting legs?

These mounting legs truly appear to be utter garbage. I couldn't even get them to fit around the fish tank's plastic trim because the vertical space between the screws and the slot is too small.

How have you guys dealt with this light fixture? I want to avoid hanging the light at all costs, and also avoid laying the fixture directly on the glass canopy. Are there another set of legs that would fit by any chance? Perhaps Coralife makes a pair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Mine is hung, using DIY conduit legs. Lots of info here about them. THese legs are the same as coralife legs, so someone might have some advice there. I haven't used glass tops on any tank is years though... Do you have any species particularly prone to jumping?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the response but i am refraining from hanging the lights, since logistically its not very feasible for me.

I wouldn't be surprised if my retard gourami decides that there is more O2 to breathe outside of the tank than in the tank... also, i don't want amanos running around my house.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I place mine on the glass. Just place the glass top on the put the light on top. It won't be secured or anything, but that just means you can move the light easily for maintenance or move it around to get more light in certain areas.

I agree the legs are crap.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've had/have similar legs and I just sawed the bases to be flush/parallel to the inside of the tank, thus removing the whole screw mount section.
It sits fine and stable this way, and works with glass tops, but you have to watch when you flip the light back. (Which I never had a habit of anyway)

You could try some sticky back velcro maybe if you worry about the flip back option of things. Personally I just slid my light back out of the way when working on things rather than flipping the light up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Trying to avoid putting the fixture directly on the glass. Any other purchaseable mounting legs out there?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
Trying to avoid putting the fixture directly on the glass. Any other purchaseable mounting legs out there?
If you trim the mounting feet parallel with the inside of your top trim like I described they won't rest on the glass and still sit stable on the tank.

You may be able to find some legs like Current fixtures use that screw into the bottom tracks, but I'm not sure off hand if your fixture has those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode