New to website would like some opinions on aquarium. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
New to website would like some opinions on aquarium.

Hey everyone : ) So I just wanted to run something by you all.
I have a 50 gallon planted tank that's probably been set up for about a year. I have flourite as the substrate, an aquaclear 70 power filter, and a T5 HO light fixture. I leave the lights on 10 hours a day using a timer. I don't have a co2 system I don't know if I should get one or not. I have started dosing liquid co2 everyday according to directions starting this week, I was only doing that 3 times a week before. So I am hoping that will help. I also was dosing iron every other day according to the directions (although I think this is causing algae).
The thing is some of my plants I buy just don't live. I have some plants that do great, but others I buy just slowly die. It always seems like they are the coolest prettiest plants too. I have an reverse osmosis system and I just add Gh as I got frustrated with the ph kh stuff.
I am not a plant expert and I don't know the names and requirements of all plants. I am just not sure what I should be doing. Should I get more additives for the tank? Like I said some plants I buy just don't make it. I have some swords, stem plants, anubias, some type of grass looking plant, some water sprite, and some other unknown plants. I would like to get better more vigorous growth, I would love for some type of plant to cover the bottom of the tank like grass. I guess I am just not happy with the growth, maybe dosing the liquid co2 everyday will help?
Also, I think I am changing too much of the water. I change about 20 gallons of water every other week, not including evaporation (it evaporates a lot due to no lid). I wasn't sure if thats too much, what should I do for my situation? I just am kinda a clean freak when it comes to getting the gunk out of the substrate. Also I get brownish/ redish algae right before my tank is due for a cleaning, so that made me think something was off balance. Maybe too much light, or iron, or both.
So If anyone has advice, suggestions, and plant suggestions that would do well for my setup, all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading
My profile picture is the tank in question, more pictures available for plant identification. Any other info you need let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The plants that are dying probably require steady co2. If you have algae, reduce the lighting by a couple hours, you probably want to add some micro/macro nutrients too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok I will make the tank be on 8 hours instead thanks, also what brand of micro macro nutrients do you recommend? I was trying not to get plants that require co2 injection. I know I want some red ludwigia, any other suggestions?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:39 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Planted tanks are all about establishing balance between your lighting and the nutrients you supply to the plants (including carbon).

Light is what drives plant growth and nutrient demand.

Is your T5HO a one bulb or 2 bulb fixture? If it's one bulb you're at "moderate" light level, if it's 2 bulbs you've got "high" light over the tank, and will need a pressurized CO2 setup to keep up with that much light.

You'll also need to either upgrade to a canister filter or make sure to keep the water level high enough in your tank to eliminate the waterfall from your HOB- that will outgas CO2 once you start adding it to your tank.

You probably need to balance out your fertilizer regimen also- you need to supply macros (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium), micros, and trace if you've got moderate light or higher. Check out the sticky at the top of the water parameters forum to help put together a better fert regimen.

Would you post up a picture of your tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It is two bulbs 108 watts altogether. Oh goodie I need a co2 system, I honestly don't even know where to start with that.
I will try to keep the water level high, it evaporates so fast. I would rather not buy a canister filter and co2 system at the same time. Where is their info about picking out a co2 system and everything co2 involved?
I will check out that fertilizer sticky, thanks.
There is a pic of it in my user tanks page.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:37 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
www.greenleafaquariums.com is a good place to get CO2 equipment.

You could also raise the light fixture a foot or so up off the tank to moderate the light if you don't want to get into pressurized CO2.

Or swap out the T5HO for a T5NO fixture- this one from Big Als would be a great one for a low tech setup, no CO2 needed at this light level: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...lestriplight48

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah I have that light on my other more low tech planted tank.
Not sure how I could make that light higher, I will probably be getting a co2 system eventually, I planned to and then I got scared I would mess something up with it. I also wanted to save up some funds for it. Oh goodness something else for me to worry about.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

great website thanks, I will call them soon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode