Dead Bees in the Tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dead Bees in the Tank!

I keep seeing dead bee after dead bee in my main tank which has cories, amanos, anubias and java ferns. The tank is the only place in my house where I find dead bees.

The tank has only a 2" x 4" opening at the top, but somehow bees get into the tank and die. I don't know how they enter my house.

If a bee contaminated with insecticide dies in my tank, it'll be ugly.

So, what do you think is going on? I doubt anything in the tank attracts the bees.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
It's the water!! Please don't spray the bees if you know where the hive is. Are they honey bees or wasp? If they are honey bees and you know where there coming from please contact a local bee keeper to come and get them. If you can't find someone please contact me and I will look in my resources and find somebody. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

They look like honey bees to me. They have a round body. Why does the water attract honey bees?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk-K View Post
They look like honey bees to me. They have a round body. Why does the water attract honey bees?
Google the name in my sig. and go to the honeybee removal tab and see if they are honeybees. They get thirsty just like humans. If they can't find a source of water in the wild they will find it other places. Water is the main ingredient in everything the bees produce (wax, honey, pollen, propolis, etc.) therefore they need a lot of it.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
How sure are you you don't have a hive in your attic? It's not all that uncommon...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've found the bees only in the basement (where my tank is) which has a walk-out door to my backyard.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 01:47 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Do you have a chimney? I found a squirrel in my basement a few times and couldn't figured how it go in until I noticed a squirrel sitting on top of the chimney. There might be a hive in your chimney and the duct leads to the heater in the basement.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode